Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hairspring material…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

If one wanted to experiment with winding one’s own hairsprings, what would be a source for the flat steel wire? While we’re at it, how about mainspring wire as well?

Thanks!
      Tom

arutha
      Participant

Hi Tom,
        the tool used for winding the three flat springs into (they were done three at a time to produce the equal coil spacing) is difficult to find, I have yet to see one on e-bay. I would imagine you would just wind steel rod in the correct diameter through some sort of press. I think I am correct in thinking that the springs are blued in the tool. It can be done but would take a fair bit of trial and error to get the correct thickness/dimensions etc as the old blued hairsprings were made from a different steel than that which we have today. I am sure I have seen in one of my books recently how to make the tool. I will have a look through and see if I can find it.
        Paul. I typed all that one fingered while holding the baby :)

tmac1956
        Participant

Arutha:

Thanks!

Tom

gerene
          Participant

If I remember correctly it is described in the “Chicago School of Watchmaking”. I am not at home, so I cannot verify, but I am quite certain I read it there.
            Arutha is right about it being not trivial at all.

Regards,

Jan

tmac1956
            Participant

gerene:

I have that at home so I’ll go back and look. However, what I’m after is a source for the wire – just to experiment with.

Thanks!
              Tom

arutha
              Participant

Could be worth contacting these guys and asking if they have some offcuts you could play with?
                http://mechanicaltimeswitches.ifginstrumentsinc.com/item/all-categories/hairspring-fabrication/item-1003
                Paul.

tmac1956
                Participant

Hey – great idea. It never hurts to ask.
                  Thanks,
                  Tom

gerene
                  Participant

Just for your information, there is also a thread about the same subject going on at NAWCC http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?103922-Anybody-have-the-Treatise-on-Modern-Horology-Glasgow. Maybe it has some usefull information for you.

Jan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.