Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hairspring does not look too well.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    watchthebear
    Participant

Hello, I got the stem out, was able to begin breaking it down, got the Balance Cock ok, but the hair spring does not look right. The part farthest from the staff is not attached to anything. Under magnifiction it looks like it has a tiny tab or partial “hook” on it. What does this mean? what do i do now? Is it something that can be done by a total doof? Or, should i move on? thanks…………b

oldmantime
      Participant

Hello B, knowing much more about the movment would help to determine what type of hairspring stud was used if any You might find that the spring has broken or has released from the stud that could still be in the balance cock. Peter

Bob Tascione

Hi B,
          I’ll post the info that you put on your other topic here so others reading will know the make of your watch.
          Copied from topic “Winding Stem” at http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=388

Hi all, here is what i can add: the watch is a Moeris, the movement is un-numbered

From the picture http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Moeris_19H it looks like the hairspring stud is a standard round brass cylinder that fits into the balance cock. The hairspring would most likely be pinned into the stud. As Peter said, it may still be in the balance cock. If the spring isn’t broken then it’s possible that it just became unpinned. If the stud is missing then there should be a round or possibly “D” shaped hole in the balance cock.

This is something that you can do but I would suggest waiting awhile until you’re comfortable with your dexterity by practicing with normal dis-assembly, assembly and basic repairs. The hairspring being the most fragile part of the watch shouldn’t really be worked with until you reach that comfort level.

For the mean time though check to see if you still have the stud in the balance cock or floating around in the movement somewhere and set it aside (or put it back into the cock for safe keeping) until you’re ready to tackle the job.

Hope this helps B,
          Bob

watchthebear
          Participant

Hello all, Thanks Bob, I think that is the advice i needed. I will set up a little voice to say “be more gentle w/ all these various things.” Can’t hurt to move on and return later. Take care……….thanks again………………b

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.