Home Forums General Discussion Forum Gustav Becker two weight clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    c.kelly
    Participant

Hi All,
      Well today I’m working on a Gustav Becker two weight cable driven clock that is a bit different, The rack and snail mechanism is definitely different from what you normally see. The snail is separate from the center shaft and driven by a star gear. May post some pictures later if anyone has an interest.
      Anyway the problem is that the cable is a plastic coated nylon line about 1mm thick. The coating is coming off and the clock is stopping. The coating is getting hung up in the brass cable guide. I have a metal cable of the same thickness that I thought of using then I thought it might cut into the brass guide. Did a search last night for the proper replacement cable and all I could find was a discussion about gut vs. plain braided nylon. Has anyone ran into this issue before and do you have any ideas of what to use? If braided nylon is ok I might just try a chalk line from the hardware store?
      Thanks,
      Charles K

c.kelly
      Participant

Hi,
        Here are a few pictures of the clock. First off is a picture of the front of the movement with the offset snail. The other two pictures show the cable that’s coming apart.
        Charles K

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.