Home Forums General Discussion Forum Guidance on Mantle Clock Movements needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    azkhan
    Participant

Hello All,

I recently signed up for Bob Tascione’s clock repair training course which I am now going through and finding quite interesting and practical.

Last year I purchased two antique mantle clocks – one by Seth Thomas and the other by Gilbert – and am now looking for their identical clock movements so I can see first-hand how they operate by carefully studying and then disassembling and reassembling them. Problem is that since there are apparently so many clock movement specifications, I’m not certain which ones they are or where I can find and purchase them (other than on eBay). Can anyone guide me please? Photos of both my clocks and their movements are attached. I believe the Seth Thomas clock movement is 89C and has an imprint 4-1/2 on it. The Gilbert one is stamped 1908 on the back plate.

Thanks and regards.
      Aurangzeb

bernie weishapl
      Participant

I am guessing you will have to buy one off ebay. Why don’t you remove the movements you have and study those? When I started 30 some years ago my mentor had me do exactly that. He would hand me a clock have me remove the movement. He told me to study in till I could tell him how it worked and what each lever was for, what is the name of each piece, what they did, etc. I looked on ebay and it looks like you can buy either of those can be bought for less than $30 from what I saw but again I wouldn’t buy a duplicate movement to study but that is just me.

By the way nice looking clocks.

azkhan
        Participant

Thank you for your response Bernie :=)

I am reluctant to use the movements I have because of concern that out of my inexperience they may get irreversibly damaged if inappropriately handled by me. As I reside in a part of the world where such clocks and their parts are virtually non-existent, any damage caused would result in me not being able to use them until I visit the US (which is once a year in May) and get replacement parts there. So unless and until I become experienced at handling these movements, which actually appear quite delicate and seem very complex for beginners like myself, I wouldn’t want to experiment with my installed movements. Later on then when the time comes for servicing the clocks and I have gained a good practical understanding of their movements and can easily disassemble and reassemble them then I will certainly attempt to do this woork myself. Will probably save quite a sum doing so!

Good that they are available on eBay.

Thanks again.
          Aurangzeb

willofiam

hello Aurangzeb, I understand your concerns, can be a bit intimidating starting out. If you are careful and take precautions like studying the movement and its function, taking pictures or even a video for yourself of its function and disassembly, MOST IMPORTANT, capturing and letting the mainsprings down, being gentle while disassembling and or reassembling, not throwing it into the street when frustrated 🙄 can all aid in success.

If somehow you can locate a “similar” movement in your area, or find a cheap one on ebay or somewhere like that, then I think it would give you the experience and knowledge in taking one apart and understanding the function for the ones you have.

Alot of the American time and strike movements functions are similar with subtle differences, though parts are not interchangeable. Any type of movement like yours will give you the understanding you seek.

Though thinking about it…if you are able to find the same movements for your learning experience then you would have extra parts if needed.

Have fun! William

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.