Home Forums General Discussion Forum Gruen Caliber 385 broken Balance Pivot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    stevefitzwater
    Participant

Ok, I have a Gruen 385, with both the upper and lower pivots broken off, only place that has one that I have found online is on the other side of the pond in the UK, anyone have any other ideas on a source here? OF has a link for Gruen Balance shafts, but it goes to a default “Call for more info” page.

Using a 15x loop, the jewels appear ok, so right now I am just looking for the balance staff.

Thanks for your help!

stevefitzwater
      Participant

I found them on Cousins, so I will be ordering them from there

stevefitzwater
        Participant

well I need to pick up a hairspring for this watch, I bought a second Gruen Verithin pocket watch for me personally, I like the appearance, it needs a lot of attentions, balance staff, hairspring etc, while I have balance staff from repairing the previous one, the hairspring is like hens teeth, and after countless hours search for a hairspring on the internet, I have found nothing.

Any suggestions? I am searching for Gruen 385 Hairspring, any tips on what to search for? I am currently looking for a parts movement, but most have bad hairsprings, or they want an arm and a leg for it..

Bob Tascione

Hi Steve,
            You may have already tried these Gruen forums, not sure. Mike (mikethewatchguy) might be able to point you in the right direction.
            http://vintagegruen.org/vgforum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=7&
            http://vintagewatchforums.com/viewforum.php?f=33
            Hope this helps,
            Bob

stevefitzwater
            Participant

again, thanks Bob for you help!

c.kelly
              Participant

HI,
                Did a quick check and dashto has a 385 with a broken staff however the hairspring might be good.

Bob Tascione

You’re welcome Steve,
                  Hey Charles I had gone through Toms site earlier yesterday but couldn’t find a Gruen 385 or 380. Just checked again but still can’t find it. Maybe Steve already grabbed it today and it’s no longer listed. What section did you find that 385 in?

Bob

c.kelly
                  Participant

Hi Bob,
                    I have to look closely to avoid missing things on his site. Went back and checked and copied the listing and I’ll paste it here maybe. I’ve been having trouble here today as I keep having to log in almost every time I try to post something. Anyway hopefully here is what I found listed in pocket watch movement section I believe that’s category 40 .
                    040.1581 $ 36.00 Gruen Verithin grade 385, 17 ligne movement, 17 jewels, broken balance staff, missing stem, open face, see pictures.
                    Charles K

Bob Tascione

Thanks Charles, that worked. Found it!
                      Good eye. Yeah it’s a tough site to navigate, at least it is for me.
                      Here’s the direct link for Steve to make it a bit easier to locate. Just click on the link and then if you’re on a pc hit CTRL- F and put the name Gruen in the box that pops up and it should take you right to it. I tried it just now and it worked for me.
                      Here’s the link: http://www.dashto.com/newlists/pocketwatchmovement.htm
                      Gracias again Charles,
                      Bob

stevefitzwater
                      Participant

Thanks!!

yeah I scrolled though a lot of pages and did not find it, using your instructions, I found it and sending email to them, thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.