Home Forums General Discussion Forum Greetings all! New member

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    avittek
    Participant

I have been reading posts for a few months and I’m just now getting around to posting on this forum. I’ve been watching the courses, reading, and buying tools that I think I’ll need. My husband and I recently had a garage built and within it a shop for all of my projects, clocks being one of my interests. I am a retired school teacher. I taught kindergarten for 25 years so I like to think I have enough patience for this hobby. I’m so anxious for this unbearable cold weather to be over so I can get out there and get started. I’m looking forward to getting advice from everyone here. Your knowledge and expertise is so much appreciated, as is your friendliness! I hope to one day feel confident enough in my knowledge of clocks to participate is your discussions.

Andrea

chris mabbott
      Participant

Hey Andrea,

Welcome to the forum and to the wondrously addictive, socially isolating (on a physical level) wallet emptying, crazy, juicy world of horology and subsequently…..collecting 😆
        Sounds like you’ve already been spending,i mean investing 🙄 your hard earned cash on supplies, which is just as much fun.

Please feel free to hop in or start any topic, about anything, doesn’t necessarily have to be lathered in technical stuff, simply mention “watch” or “clock” and anything goes 😆

Main thing is, have fun, participate and don’t be afraid to ask what you may feel is the most simplest of questions. We here are like chained dogs straining at the leash for……… A question :ugeek:

namonllor1953
        Participant

Welcome aboard Andrea. You’re in for a great experience.
          As Chris said, don’t be affraid to ask questions as there are a lot of newcomers hear, myself included, who will learn from your questions and answers given.
          Enjoy your self and again, welcome.

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Welcome Andrea. Great forum here with lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

stevefitzwater
            Participant

Welcome to our little addiction!

As far as the cold goes, I will be a lot happier in 32 days when April rolls around, things will be getting warmer!

avittek
              Participant

Thanks everyone for the welcome! My birthday was yesterday and my husband bought me an Ollie Baker style mainspring winder. I was going to wait until I actually needed it but…oh well! I have all intentions on starting with the movements I have that don’t have mainsprings.

willofiam

Hello Andrea, Welcome and as everyone mentions…..ask away…Nice B-day present, please be careful. Though the ollie baker is a great tool, use caution at all times. Did it come with all the sleeves? Do you have a mainspring let down tool set? William

avittek
                  Participant

Thanks, William. Yes, let down tools and sleeves included. I won’t be using it for a while and will check with you all here before I do to make sure I understand the process. I do also have safety equipment. I work with glass projects where I drill holes in glassware and I wear a full safety visor when doing so along with Kevlar gloves. I plan on using the same precautions when working with mainsprings. Thank you for your welcome and advice. As a teacher, encouraging my students was always top on my list so now that the tables have turned I appreciate how helpful and non-condescending everyone on this board is.

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Oh Andea, as a teacher, please feel free to jump in and correct any of the grammatical errors you may find. I for one was a very poor student, but since attaining an age of “consciousness” I’ve kinda learnt how to attune my ears to the brain, so now I’m very open to the learning experience 😆

avittek
                      Participant

Chris, I would never do that! Besides, grammar and spelling are out the window these days…no wut i mean? LOL!

chris mabbott
                        Participant

😆 Hey, I know a few ex teachers who ALWAYS start by saying that, then eventually, the natural order rises from the depths and I hear a ….”how did you phrase that” 😆 I’m just teasing you..

david pierce
                          Participant

Avittek,
                            Clocks are a great place to start out when learning about time keeping devices. Due to their larger size, clocks can be repaired with more affordable tools. Many of these tools are commonly available items such as pliers and screwdrivers that can be purchased from many hardware departments. Some of the major advantages clocks offer are the ability to see the parts and a wider tolerance latitude that diminishes as the parts become smaller. As gears, pivots, springs etc. become smaller and smaller the price of the tools to work on them increases dramatically. Smaller mechanisms also become less forgiving and more fragile.
                            I would guess that over 90% of the forum members are clock people so you are in good company.
                            david

chris mabbott
                            Participant

@david pierce wrote:

I would guess that over 90% of the forum members are clock people so you are in good company.
                              david

Hmm, what about us ten percenters Mr Pierce, are we not good company ;) 😆

avittek
                              Participant

I can tell I’m in good company. I’m mainly interested in clocks. There is a pocketwatch I would like to look into that belonged to my father. You’ll cringe when I say this, my son played with it many years ago and left it with a shattered crystal and pulled out the mainspring because he couldn’t get the back screwed on. Oh, and the hour hand is broken off. Don’t think it was a valuable watch but sentimental to me. Who knows what else was damaged!

david pierce
                                Participant

Avittek,
                                  The pocket watch can be put back into good condition by you once you get a little study and experience behind you. One good way to learn is to practice on some junk watch movements. Study, practice, breaking parts and forgetting where everything goes is all part of the learning experience. Get this behind you before working on a watch you care about.
                                  david

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.