Home Forums General Discussion Forum Grandfather clock chiming problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rbickings
    Participant

Hello everyone, i am an absolute newbie and novice. I just finished the Tascione clock videos and have a better idea how things work. My question is that i have a Carolina Grandfather clock that i bought in 2003 and has worked perfectly up until now. One day a few months back i lifted the weights (as i have done for years) and the time was perfect but the chimes stopped. After i lift the weights, it may do the full Westminster chimes and 12 bongs but after that, that’s it until the next time i lift the weights. BTW, the weights for the hour and chimes do not drop. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much…

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Is this just a westminister chime clock or is it a triple chime? If you are pulling the weights I am guessing it is a chain drive? Did you purchase it new or from someone? If it ran well since 2003 then I am guessing it is in need of a cleaning and oiling. As you know the only proper way to do this is to totally disassemble the movement for cleaning, polishing pivots, any repairs needed done, cleaning, and then reassembly. I am going on a clock call Wednesday that the clock has quit after 7 yrs. Come to find out the dealer had it running in his furniture store for over 13 yrs. So the clock was over due for a cleaning and oiling even though he did sell it as new. So if I had to venture a guess I would say it is due for a full service.

William or Bob you might want to move this to the general discussion forum.

rbickings
        Participant

Thanks Bernie, I forgot to say that I did have someone out in the last 13 years twice to clean and oil the clock, but that’s been about 5 years. It is only a single Westminster chime clock. I am ready to dive in, I only need to be pointed in the right direction with disassembly. I assume I can get the cleaning chemicals at any hardware store, and the oil online…any recommendations?
          Thanks again…

bernie weishapl
          Participant

You might want to check out this thread on cleaning solutions. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=999&hilit=cleaning+solutions

I started out using Historic Timekeepers I think from Timesavers but now I use Zep Citrus Heavy Duty Degreaser. I use 1 cup to 1 gallon of water in my ultrasonic. Been using it for several years and it works well. I buy it at ACE Hardware. I also put about 1/4 cup of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid in. Combo has done the job for me.

Here is a link to Historic Timekeepers. http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=Historic+Timekeepers&go=Search

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.