Home Forums General Discussion Forum Grandfather Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tik246doc
    Participant

Howdy All,

Just joined and first time ever using a forum. Hope this works-suggestions welcome.

Anyhow, Been tinkering with clocks, mostly early American mantles and wall. Have a Howard Miller grandfather that for some reason even with bob as far down as it will go without falling off will run and hour + fast every 24 hours. Any suggestions on what may be causing this condition that might be an easy fix before I have to build a test stand and dismantle which I plan on doing anyhow, but still have a dozen or so wall clocks to mess with. Kinda new at this but am kinda old.

Thanks for any help.

Rich

willofiam

Hello Rich, could be many things starting with overall condition though the first thing I would look at is the escapement.

tik246doc
        Participant

Bill,

Danged if ya didn’t hit it right on the head. I had just downloaded Bob’s troubleshooting list and just minutes (no pun) ago, I opened up the side panels and gave it a look and lo and behold the escapement wheel was jumping several teeth at a time and it looks as though it has pretty much worn them down. Now two questions: Where might I be able to find some poop on how to disassemble this baby and where might I go to find some plans on building a test stand for it? Its a Howard Miller Model 610-366 with a 354044G movement if that helps. Golly, wish I had signed up with you guys sooner. This is one of the best sites yet!

Thanks for your answer – you made my day.

Rich

willofiam

Hey Rich, sorry I have not been able to get back to you sooner….really busy…The #’s you posted are not familiar to me, are they off the back of the movement? Try posting some pictures or double check the #’s @Tik246Doc wrote:

find some plans on building a test stand

I have a you-tube video on how I made my test stand, here is a link
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyyVll2STpM
            OR do a internet search on them for sale and get some ideas for building your own.

tik246doc
            Participant

William,

Hey, thanks so much for getting back to me. Great test stand. I’ll start on that right away, probably a smaller version as I am limited on space, (small bedroom in a mobilehome). As far as the numbers, I will recheck. They were off of a Howard Miller sticker inside the case. Will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks again. Lot of help for sure.

Rich
              Cambria

tik246doc
              Participant

William,

I double checked the numbers and they do jive. Only enough however I noticed and addition little plaque attached to the door of the case which is different than the serial number on the inside.
                I will send those photos as soon as I can figure out how to do so.

Rich

tik246doc
                Participant

William,

Just finished my grandfather test stand. Will be pulling out the movement soon and will probably have a few more questions along the way. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Rich
                  Cambria

tik246doc
                  Participant

William,

Well got the movement out. It is an Urgos movement and from what I can determine is not the original. Tweeked the verge, (dang those teeth on the escape wheel are tiny), gave it a quick cleaning and oiling, back in the case and right on! Thanks for all your help. Now the wife won’t let me sell it.

Rich
                    Cambria

willofiam

and soon you will have 50 clocks around the house….

tik246doc
                      Participant

William,

Already do! And a few more to boot. Have to keep most of them in my office so she can sleep at night.

Rich

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.