Home Forums General Discussion Forum Gilbert Dial refurbish

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bobs clocks
    Participant

This is my first post on this forum so please be patient with me. I am repairing my first mantel clock, an old Gilbert, and I am looking for advise on repairing the dial. It appears that there is a thin coating on the face that has aged and id cracking and peeling. Is that a simple fix to this or should I remove all of the coating and if so what do I use to coat the face?

chris mabbott
      Participant

Hi Bob, and as the Romans used to say…. Welcome to the forum :)

Remote diagnosis can be difficult without a visual aid (ask any doctor 😆 ) so if you could post a photo of your clock face it would help matters immensely..

If you need any help with posting photos, check out this PHOTO POSTING LINK

bernie weishapl
        Participant

As Chris said a picture would help us know what you are dealing with. If it is a painted dial the only way I know to make it as new is to have the dial redid professionally. If it is not to bad and you just want to stop it from cracking and peeling anymore you could spray it with a clear acrylic.

chris mabbott
          Participant

Bernie, I’m glad that you brought up the clear acrylic, I meant to ask you some time ago… Is there a particualr brand to use for paper, does it run, and when it dries is there any shrinkage or distortion on the paper?

I was thinking of experimenting on some old PW paper dials to see if it would preserve them. I mean, I’m not a fan of PW replacment dials but some are unique and worth saving…

Thanks buddy..

bobs clocks
            Participant

Here is a picture of the Gilbert dial in discussion

bernie weishapl
              Participant

That looks like a piece of plastic covering the dial. I have seen that a couple of times on clocks. Can’t tell for sure as the pic’s is blurry. Is that plastic sheet??

bobs clocks
                Participant

It appears to be either a dried spray on coating or possibly a thin plastic.

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

That is what I am guessing after see te pic’s. I had one I took the plastic off as it was cracked pretty bad. I just put new winding arbor rings on it and left the dial uncovered. I think it was put on as a dial protector but to me didn’t do much. Just my $1.298.

willofiam

I had read somewhere 🙄 that this was a cellulose coating. dont really know what that actually means though as far as how to refurbish. I have seen a few, some the paper stuck to it, others looked as yours does. If I am remembering correctly 🙄 one was also a Gilbert. Also just finished a old Junghans wall clock that has a paper dial and a coating that has cracked throughout, lookes like old varnish or something similar. If your up to researching it, please let us know what you come up with, Ill do the same. have a nice night, William

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.