Home Forums General Discussion Forum Gilbert clock with ruby glass case.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john baker
    Participant

I have acquired a new clock. It has a brocot escapement, which runs anti clockwise. The pallets(triangular metal) are set into the anchor in a triangular hole. One edge of each pallet is rounded so that the teeth of the escape wheel have a rounded surface to land on, at both entry and exit. My question is this. I want to clean and dress each pallet. Dont want to be too agressive on these surfaces. Maybe a ruby stone or very fine sandpaper?
      I was also wondering if anyone is familiar with this clock movement. I would post photos but don’t know how to do that yet. The markings on back plate are…..Gilbert Clock Co Winstead Conn USA Pat Apl Dec 23 1902.
      Would love to hear from anybody. Would like to strip whole thing down to clean, bush where needed. But it looks a bit complex. Plans would be good if they exist. Otherwise, lots of photos by me when tearing it to pieces.
      Look forward to hearing from anyone out there. Oh, forgot to mention, from Australia. Have good collection of American clocks, Ansonia, Waterbury and so on.
      Regards, John Baker.

randy
      Participant

Hello John,
        While I’m not a “clock-guy”. I would think that you wouldn’t want to risk removing any of the pallet material, as there’s probably some worn off already due to age and use ?

I would try to use a polish..maybe on a felt buff stick to start, and see if you can get the contact surfaces cleaned up that way. If that’s not aggressive enough..a diamond paste or even a few strokes with a ruby stone may be the answer.

Best of luck with this..it sounds like an interesting movement !

Randy

john baker
        Participant

Thanks for your advice Randy. Trying to attach photo of clock. If it doesn’t work, will catch up with you later on. Thanks mate.

randy
          Participant

John..Have you seen this video…would it be helpful ?
            I ran a search for Brocot escapement and ran into this and other info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhdk9iVOlSU

I’m still trying to find a full set of plans..that’s a cool clock

john baker
            Participant

Gday Randy,

1st of all, many thanks for your help and interest. The link to the article was exactly what I was looking for. Have you watched it? The part that he used to hold the anchor, I don’t have but I can easily make something up to do the job. I also rebushed the hole in the anchor as there was a lot of slop.

I will let you know the result. Once again, thanks and keep safe.

Kind regards ,

John.

randy
              Participant

John
                Not the entire video …no.

Very glad to hear it is helpful though, and looking forward to your progress.

Best regards…and you stay safe as well !!!

Randy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.