Home Forums General Discussion Forum German ‘blessing’ alarm clock spring issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    derekas
    Participant

Has anyone encountered a German “Blessing” alarm clock and if so how do I contract the springs for re-assembly. This small alarm clock is in really good condition with the only fault being the alarm spring had detached itself from its post. However the problem I have is both the timing spring and alarm spring need to be wound and restrained for re-assembly but I have found no way of doing this. I have tried wire but this does not seem to have enough strength to hold them in position. Also there seems to be no click to hold back the springs.

arutha
      Participant

I found the easiest way to compress the springs is by hand with a zip tie or cable tie (depending where you are from :) ) Put the zip tie around the spring and then as you wind it up you can pull the tie closed with your teeth. Just make sure the bulky part of the tie is not going to interfere with anything when you put the clock back together. I have done quite a few alarm clocks in this way.
        Good luck and let us know how it goes :)
        Paul.

derekas
        Participant

Arutha,
          Sorry for the delay in reply but I had other projects to attend too, including a clock repair that was a Xmas present so the blessing clock had to be put to one side. I did try the cable tie method but it did not work for me (although I was getting fed up at the time). However I have another idea that might work. I have purchased today some small metal curtain rings and I think I will be able to make small C spring clamps from them that will fit this job. I will post if this works but this will not be till after the festive season.

arutha
          Participant

Hi Derek,
            you can use a thin wire to wrap around the springs to hold them compressed but I always found this a bit fiddly. Good luck with the curtain rings and let us know if it works.
            Paul.

derekas
            Participant

The blessing alarm clock spring issue is now resolved by making a custom retaining ring from a curtain ring. I would post a pic but do not know how to do this. The curtain ring was to big and needed re-sizing in diameter and width but the metal is low grade and is therefore easy to bend and file. However I have encountered another issue with this clock.The hairspring needs replacing but the old hairspring collet is offset (I presume for alignment) and alignment of the new hairspring is not possible. Does anyone know of a supplier or can I remove the old spring from the old collet and fit a new spring to the old collet. I think the old spring is glued to the collet but not sure. The collet is 2mm

arutha
              Participant

Nice to hear you got the springs back in a found a method that worked :)
                You can fit a new hairspring to the old collet, use a little shellac to hold it in place. Be warned, it is a VERY fiddly job. I have only done this once myself.
                Paul.

derekas
                Participant

Thanks will try when I get some shellac. Will post if successful. The other option maybe,would be to make a stud and fix to a standard hairspring via solder but i don,t know if i have the skill. `Will try shellac first.

arutha
                  Participant

Sometimes the collet is closed over the hairspring, it is almost riveted over it, if you can get the old hair spring out and clean the groove enough to get the new hairspring in then the rest is easy. Just make a note of which way round the hairspring comes out of the collet, i.e. do the coils exit from the left or the right of the slot.
                    Good luck :)
                    Paul.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.