Home Forums Member Shop Pics. “Gerene”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gerene
    Participant

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to the course and would like to show a few pictures of my shop.

Best regards,

Jan

arutha
      Participant

Hi Jan,
        very nice set-up! How are you getting on with horology so far :)

gerene
        Participant

I started this addicting hobby about 2 years ago, when I retired. I started out following an online watch course, not the Tascione videos because I did not know them at the time, and have been servicing watches as a hobby.
          I became interested in clocks and decided to build the ‘John Wilding 16th Century Styke Clock”. That’s what the lathe and micro mill are used for. The clock is not finished yet but is well on its way.
          I had to learn a lot, since I do not have any machining background, but I believe I am doing reasonbly well ;)
          I am now following the Tascione courses, especially those for clocks as I plan on servicing clocks as well. I bought the watch and lathe courses also, because one cannot get enough information about horology. ❗

Jan

willofiam

hey Jan, looks like a nice place and well organized ;) , how do you like your lathe? also what kind of drill press is that? Its great to see you up here, have fun :D , William

gerene
            Participant

Well, I cleaned my workplace a little bit before taking the picture ;)

I like my Taig lathe very much. I can do almost everything I needed so far. I don’t know if it would be possible to turn watch staffs on it, I never tried that. It is possible however to change the headstock for one wich takes WW collets and a drawbar. I am considering to order that eventually together with a T-rest. For now I mainly use it for clocks as mentioned in my previous post I also have a comprehensive set of accessories for it.

The “drill press” is actually a Proxxon MF70 micro mill. It works fine. I use it for drilling and milling (small things). One of the things I made on it are the lantern pinions for my clock.

Jan

arutha
              Participant

Hi Jan,
                the good thing about lantern pinions is that they are easy to make. I had to repair a couple today where some bodger had soldered some rough old bits of something in place of two of the trundles and in another it had two trundles that had broken clean across the middle. If they are very bad then like you I make new ones.
                i am loving the pictures, its great to see machinery at work on here :)
                Paul.

catskillpainter
                Participant

Googling “Proxxon MF70 micro mill” . . I’m adding this to my wish list ! Looks like you’ve got a great set up going, and some really nice tools !

gerene
                  Participant

Added this Proxxon MBS 240/E band saw to my workshop yesterday. I was tired of sawing metal by hand and this is really saving time and effort. It is a micro band saw, with a fine band (5,0 x 0.4 mm), which allows to saw curbs with a (small) radius. It won’t replace a jewelers saw though.

I tried cutting aluminum 8mm thick and it worked like a charm. It is made for steel as well (a special saw band for stainless steel is available) but I did not have the opportunity to try it on steel yet. I will have to saw steel and brass soon.

willofiam

Hey Jan, that would be perfect for all kinds of stuff and save alot of time too, I have a large bandsaw I used for the woodshop, you got me thinking about finding some metal cutting blades (possibly) probably not at that small of a size though. William

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.