Home Forums General Discussion Forum Geneva Lathe Dimensions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Bob,
      I measured a Wolf Jahn, Bergeon and a Lorch. All of them had a 20mm bed and measured 40mm from the top of the bed to the center of the spindle or 50mm from the center of the spindle to the center of the bed. All of the components can be interchanged among them. Check your Boley, I would think that it would be the same.
      david

Bob Tascione

Thanks David,
        That’s good to know. Distance from bed center to spindle center looks like 51mm. (eyeballing with a caliper) and bed dia. exactly 20mm. Getting 45mm from lathe bed to s/center though so quite a bit off on that dim. I’ll double check on the s/center height using a height gage and will let you know.
        Appreciate your checking that for me.

Adios for now,
        Bob

arutha
        Participant

I seem to remember there were differences with the Boley, I am almost certain the collets are different, is this a 6mm or 8mm?

david pierce
          Participant

Paul and Bob,
            Both 6mm and 8mm measured 40mm from the top of the bed to the center of the spindle. If you have a collet center put it in the lathe and measure from that point to the top of the bed. I can not imaging why Boley would go to 41mm.
            david

Bob Tascione

Hi David,
              I don’t know about the 41mm either? The measurement was 45mm. Just measured with height gauge and pin gauge in spindle and get 45mm from bed top and 52mm from bed center.

Bob

Bob Tascione

Sorry meant to say 44mm from bed top to spindle center! 51mm spindle center to bed center.

Bob

david pierce
                Participant

Bob,
                  It looks like it is different. How are your silver soldering skills?
                  david

Bob Tascione

Hi David,
                    Yes I think you’re right. I just found a post on Practical Machinist that seems to confirm the 44mm height. I’ll post the link below just for the reference.
                    I’ve already ordered some stuff called MuggyWeld that I wanted to try out. Stronger than silver solder yet doesn’t need to be heated too much higher than Silver Solder. Thought I would try it as it may prove valuable in many other horological applications.

Here’s the link. Scroll down the page a bit.
                    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/unknown-bergeon-model-c-d-type-micro-lathe-115725/

Thanks David.
                    Adios for now,
                    Bob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.