Home Forums General Discussion Forum Gear Train won’t move

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

I have a situation that has confounded me on several watch movements. I carefully install the gear train, MS barrel and attach all the bridges. I double check that all the gears are seated properly and that the roller jewel is moving the pallet fork. Then I wind up the MS and nothing happens. I have taken the movement apart many times and put it back together with the same results. I have no idea what to do next. Book and internet instruction are fine, but if I’m stuck and have tried everything I have learned to no avail, I need one-on-one instruction. Since I know of no one nearby here in Hollywood Fl., the only other recourse is to send the movement to someone more experienced to determine what is wrong and explain how to fix it. Otherwise, I’m at an impasse and can go no further. I would really appreciate it if someone on this Forum could take the time to help out a struggling watch restorer in this way? I will certainly pay for the shipping both ways.

timenut111
      Participant

Hank, you didn’t mention whether you had the watch put back together complete….Randy

hank7421
        Participant

Hi Randy, I had everything back together except the dial and hands. Then I wound it with a bench key.

hank7421
          Participant

Well, I think I might have figured out why the gear train won’t move. I decided to change the jewel. When I turned the bridge over I noticed that someone had tried to repair the jewel hole by soldering it, but they didn’t do a good job because the jewel setting does not sit int the hole level. It is slightly cocked to one side. I assume that this is what is jamming the pivot on that gear. I don’t know of any way to fix that so I’ll just keep this movement for parts.

randy
            Participant

Hank,
              Sorry for the late reply..I’ve moved to a new house ( all my gear is still packed up ).
              Well it sounds like you can tell what’s messing it up. That’s too bad. I hate seeing where someone hacked a fix on a movement. But I can’t hate the person, as they may have had no other options.
              You take care !!

Randy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.