Home Forums General Discussion Forum Gathering up some tools to get started

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    scott312
    Participant

Hello everyone I finally starting ordering tools. I hope this will do for now. I’m not sure what to about magnifiers, I wear glasses.
      10 days ago I knew nothing about watches. I know a little now :) There is so much to know on the overall world of watches I see. So many variables. lol
      I picked up 4 pocket watches on eBay to butcher : ) I hope I don’t butcher them and I picked up 2 working pocket watches our personal use.
      My first project Will be to replace batteries on a Half dozen around the house. They have been sitting in drawers for years.
      I figured fixing 4 of my wife’s watches would justify my spending for all these new tools in her eyes. lol
      Merry Christmas everyone.

1 x Horotec Watchmakers Screwdriver Set with Stand 6 Sizes
      1 x Brass Tweezers Set of 5 pcs Straight Tip 5″ Long Very Soft Non-Magnetic
      1 x Watch Back Removal Tool Compact Watchmakers Case Wrench
      1 x Watchmakers Swiss Watch Case Opener Knife 4″
      1 x Extra Large Swiss Watch Case Holder Repair Vise with Adjustable Pins
      1 x Horofix Watch Case Cushion – 2.5″ Soft Foam
      1 x Bergeon 4657 Rubber Dust Blower
      1x watch hand presser
      2x lifter levers

stevefitzwater
      Participant

as far as loops, I like this one – http://www.esslinger.com/original-ary-swiss-made-standard-loupe-eyeglass-attachment-magnifier/

it clips on to the glass lens and easily flips up out of the way when you do not need it. It is a bit pricey, but it is worth it to me

I have tried the on that clips onto the bow of the glasses, but these work better for me

scott312
        Participant

Those are nice. Thanks for pointing them out. I had not seen those I ordered some more tools
          1 Donegan Double Eyeglass Loupe 4X-10X FB-642 $25.00 $25.00
          1 Optivisor DA-7, 2 3/4 Power, 6″ Working DistanceFB-632 $43.05 $43.05
          1 Movement Ligne and American Size GaugeMOVEMENT-GAUGE $3.95 $3.95
          1 Bergeon 6938 Dial Protection BERG-6938 $1.38 $1.38
          1 Horotec Inexpensive Green Plastic Bench MatMSA 24.208 $12.60 $12.60

I went ahead and got the Donegan and Optivisor.

Thank for the reply Steve

stevefitzwater
          Participant

no problem, we all have our preferences on visor, loop or some combination, I personally have a pair of single vision glasses (reading glasses) that are set for 6-10 inches distance, the closest the optician could setup for, then the Ary loop for fine work.

joe austin
            Participant

You need some movement holders, better tweezers at least one pair of Dumont size 2 or 3C, oilers, oil, pith wood, rodico, pegwood, watch paper, and a bench block, which seems odd but it really helps to hold the balance cock, and the barrel when you need something to support the part that can also let a shaft, or pivot hang free. I started out with cheap tweezers, it was probably my worst mistake. Good luck have fun.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.