Home Forums General Discussion Forum French Longcase Clock?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Bob Tascione

Hi Evan,
      Beautiful Clock!
      The double or dual strike is very common with these and with some other French clocks. In the case of Morbier I believe they could be ordered with or without this function. It allowed for a ‘second chance’ to count the strike in case the first count was missed or uncertain. Also have seen some clocks strike both times on one bell only and others strike the first time on a bell and the second on a gong. Using both bell and gong made clear to the listener if the stike sequence was occuring at exactly the hour or if the stike is the second strike occuring a few minutes after the hour.
      As for the dial screw/nut. Since it’s your clock you could always put a HW store set on for now and replace with more authentic later when you have the chance. I’m sure you’re anxious to have it up and running! I don’t blame you. That’s a very nice looking clock!
      Do you happen to have a closer pic of the face/dial? Would love to see it if you do.
      Hope this helps Evan and congrats on a nice find.
      Bob

gerene
      Participant

Most Morbier clocks strike on the hour and again after 2 minutes. Only one strike on the half hour. This is how it is supposed to be.

I would replace the missing screws with new ones from the store. The few I have seen where all M3 size brass screws. The nuts are usually steel square nuts.

You could disengage the click to unwind the rope from the barrels. Normally one is supposed to wind the rope before transporting. Be careful when the barrel is fully onwound. It is easy to have the rope go off the barrel and winding around the barrel arbor, causing trouble with the other gears (guess how I know that).

Jan

achipo
        Participant

Finally got all everything assembled. It ran well without the pendulum (obviously very fast), but when I put the pendulum on, there doesn’t seem to be enough force from the escapement wheel. Part of the problem I think is that we have rough-hewn floors, and the clock isn’t quite level, and the pendulum mount (not sure the proper name for this) occasionally rubs on the clock housing.

Anyway, it’s very pretty in our entry way. Here are a few pics.

gerene
          Participant

Evan,

it is very important that the clock is level or it won’t run at all. Start with leveling the case such that the pendulum is in the centre and does not touch any part of the frame by placing shims under the case. Then you will have to put the clock in beat by placing shims under the mechanism in the case. Listen to the tick-tock and make sure the tic and tock take are the same. If not place shimming under one side and try again, if it is worse you had the wrong side :)
            Normally when the mechanism is level it will start working.

It does look very pretty indeed.

Jan

achipo
            Participant

Got it. Thanks!

Bob Tascione

Thanks for putting those pics up Evan!
                Bob

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.