Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks Flying Jewels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

This might be an obvious trick for a newbie but I was tired of loosing jewels, you know how they shoot off into space even though you moisten the tweezer tips 👿

Well, one day I was in the local Chinese $ shop and I saw these fluorescent green silicon baking trays, they come in all sizes, they are round, square or rectangular, and they’re kinda sticky to the touch, tacky. I started to use them for movement disassembly, the great thing is, if a small screw, jewel or any part takes a sideways fling, it hits the tray and sticks to it instead of bouncing into a dark void, never to be seen again. They’re great for every job because they’re also floppy so it conforms to your chin if you have to get close and personal and I must admit, that my losses have been reduced to almost nothing, plus, they’re cheap enough to buy a dozen and they clean up good 😆

I found that I use a round one that’s about 30cm in diameter more than the other shapes, nothing slides around and it’s great for removing jewel settings and working on the balance assembly

Chris

willofiam

Fantastic tip Chris, Ill have to find one and give it a try, My floor may get lonely without me rolling around on it looking for items. William

chris mabbott
        Participant

I hear you William and I feel your pain, I mean the pain in my knees from being on the floor 😆

Chris

david pierce
          Participant

The floor area around a workbench is known in the trade as THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE. It still suprises me how far parts can fly no matter how gently you handle them; expecially INCABLOCK and KIF retaining springs.
            david

ewinrow
            Participant

Good tip, I to am tired of feeding my carpet and bumping my head under the table upon standing and for the record, I have yet to find anything that took flight.
              I’m going to look for these items also.

chris mabbott
              Participant

Me neither Ed, only months later by accident when I didn’t need it any longer 😆
                I’ve since move from a camo, Bermuda Triangle type floor to a white tiled area, with nothing on it, amazing what you can find.
                I also used my old vacuum cleaner solely for finding parts , I made a filter from a heavy, clear plastic bag, funny but you can hear a roller jewel tinkling up the tube…. GOTCHA :-)

david pierce
                Participant

If you have an air compressor you can buy (Harbor Freight) or even make a compressed air powered vacuum cleaner. The air flow is reversed in a chamber blowing into a small cloth bag. Since it is a small unit the parts are very easy to find.
                  david

tmac1956
                  Participant

david:

The Harbor Frieght air compressors are great and cheap too. I’m going to get one of the $50.00 compressors.

Thanks,
                    Tom

arutha
                    Participant

Another solution to this problem is to work in a bag, when you come to a bit of work where you know you could have problems you just move the parts inside a clear plastic bag and work in there until you are in a safe position again.
                      Paul

hank7421
                      Participant

Hi Chris
                        Like yourself, I am new at this but was getting frustrated with flying screw and small gears. I decided to make myself a portable work station that sits on my desk that would hinder flying objects. I used a display case upside down. I turned the masonite back around so the smooth side would be facing up, slightly trimmed off some of the edges to allow for the material that I wrapped around the back and tapped it back in. I used a material that had a backing to it. This produces a slight cushioning effect and prevents bouncing. I also installed a back screen out of the same material with a well at the bottom so that flying parts will hit the screen and just fall into the well which was stapled to the front. The support arms for the screen were made with a wire hangar that was cut and re-bent and screwed to the front. The cardboard tube was trimmed and acts as the top of the screen. When I have to get close, the top of the cushion touches at the top of my apron. I added cushions on the side for comfort and to support my arms. For those of you who have a more professional work station, something like this could be used on top of it when you have to take apart and put together a watch. It was very simple to put together. It may not be for everyone, but I have not lost a single part since I began using it. Enjoy.
                        Hank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.