Home Forums General Discussion Forum First wheel is loose

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    avittek
    Participant

I’m on to my next clock, another 400-day but standard size Schatz 49. I hope I can explain the problem I’m having since I’m not sure I’m using the right terminology. The problem is with the first wheel. The arbor is turning, but the wheel is not secured to the arbor. So, in turn, it allows the mainspring barrel to spin freely. Is this fixable or do I need to find a replacement wheel? I hope I’ve explained my problem well enough.
      Thanks,
      Andrea

chris mabbott
      Participant

Hey Andrea,

Sounds interesting and I’m sorry I can’t offer any info, being a watch guy and all, ya know :D
        I’ll take a wild stab in the dark and offer this guess…. Would the gear happen to be threaded onto the arbor, kinda like a safety pinion?

If you could post a beautifully clear and highly detailed photo, I would be interested, as a budding hopeful, to see the issue in technicolor 8-)

arutha
        Participant

Unlikely the wheel is threaded but they can often be riveted back on to the arbor. A photo would help and we can guide you from there.
          Paul.

avittek
          Participant

Here are a couple of pictures. Thank you for your interest in my problem.

Andrea

arutha
            Participant

Ok, if you look at the second picture where the arbor comes through the wheel you can see where the pinion was turned down and then riveted over to hold the wheel. You need a punch that will fit in punch those little “petals” if you think of it like a flower and spread the material to hold the wheel on. Dont be just tempted to solder it in place as this is the intermediate wheel, the first wheel after the barrel and is under a lot of pressure from the barrel.
              Hope that helps,
              Paul.

avittek
              Participant

Thanks, Paul. I appreciate the detailed and patient explanation. So, it looks like that will be my next tool purchase. Can you give me any advice on that? Is that what a staking set is used for?
                Andrea

arutha
                Participant

There will be punches in a staking set and if you are serious about clock repair a good staking set is certainly a very useful tool which should be somewhere near the top of your shopping list.
                  In Bobs videos he shows the K & D Inverto sets which are very nice but very expensive. The Japanese sets are very good and you can find those much cheaper.
                  Keep your eye on this one – Staking Set
                  Paul.

avittek
                  Participant

Thanks again, Paul. I see eBay in my future! I’m sure I’ll be asking more advice when I have tools in hand.
                    Andrea

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.