Home Forums General Discussion Forum First Waltham Railroad Grade Pocket Watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hey Fellas,

I picked up this Waltham 23j yesterday for $160, not running, of course. Pocket Watch Database targets a $500 – $670 retail price. If you’d like to see it, here are a couple links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321628546641?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And the PWD:

http://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/16071830/movement

Should get it in a couple weeks. Coming in from Israel.

Best,

Tim :)

chris mabbott
      Participant

Nice vanguard Tim, a good catch and a good year, you’ll enjoy working on that one for sure..

I wouldn’t put too much on what these retail price lists state, retail is what the owner figures it’s worth and asks for it. You’ll notice that the models in this price range and higher have been sitting on the shelf for a few years. What someone is actually willing to pay is entirely a different thing as value is subjective.

From a collectors standpoint, as it is collectors that drive the market.. The vanguard (as topic at hand) was a fine timekeeper and ahead of its time for a mass produced watch, but from a collectors standpoint it is fairly unremarkable as there are no real variations in its design to make it an “interesting” collectible, the vanguards, like others, simply fit into a sequential timeline of production..
        This was walthams solution during a very competitive time as it unveiled its new line of RR grade models to please the consumer and the professional alike..

I have some interesting info and original sales ads from this lines release, but my pc is down UFN so my files are not available unfortunately.

An interesting line of study is to research and collect information on this model, familiarize yourself with when, who, why, the parts and history.. Which is a lot more rewarding and brings that era back to life. It can also break the myths that … ” those dumb old timers, we’re a lot smarter these days” 😆

maitai11
        Participant

Hey Chris,

Thanks for all that great info. I look forward to getting this – I’m kind of falling a little bit in love with these railroad grades…All of a sudden, I’m finding reasons to keep lots of my “firsts.” First watch I serviced, first Bunn, first Vanguard, you get the point…

…I suppose, as addictions go…I could do a lot worse :/

Best,

Tim :)

chris mabbott
          Participant

While you wait you can search for a new minute hand…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.