Home Forums General Discussion Forum First question on sekonda

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    porsche911
    Participant

I’m new here so be gentle please, I don’t know anything at the moment, but I have a sekonda 17 jewel, when I wind it up it goes tight and lasts around 6hours then stops, it keeps perfect time while running, any ideas, not even had a back of a watch yet, but I bought this one cheap to start practising with the help of Bobs course.

randy
      Participant

Phil.
        There’s the off chance that it just needs a clean,oil, adjust and a new mainspring.
        It could be that the last person to work on it couldn’t source a new spring, and shortened the existing one because it broke .
        Could also be something else in the mainspring barrel that’s rusty/gummed up and not letting the spring unwind fully.

I’m not thinking that it’s anything in the gear train, as the watch shouldn’t run 6 hrs if you had a bad/broken tooth.

The only way to know is to take it apart.

We’re ALWAYS gentle here,..that’s one of the nicer things about this group of folks.

Let us know what you find and how else we can help

Randy

porsche911
        Participant

Thanks Randy for your reply.
          Well I have broke it already LOL, broke the crown off the end of the stem, I just cant get it to come out, I loosened the screw that I think holds it but it wont move,
          It say on the movement 17 kamhen 2809.1 if that means anything.
          Regards
          Phill

randy
          Participant

So from looking at pictures of these movements, I don’t believe that the screw is holding the stem in place.
            You should be seeing a small “button” not far from where the screw you are loosening. It might look like the end of a post to you.

You take a small tool ( needle if you have one), and depress it while you pull on the stem.
            It should slide right out.

porsche911
            Participant

Got it out now,there was a tiny hole, inserted probe and it came right out, wish I had found it earlier, first lesson learned 😳

porsche911
              Participant

Crossed post Randy, thanks for taking the time to look, were did you find the pics?
                Phill

randy
                Participant

I just typed in Sekonda 17 J on a web search, and then looked at all of the movement photos I could find. They appear to be very similar to each other

randy
                  Participant

You’ll find that watch parts are like fine firearms, or any other close tolerance machined items.
                    They will come apart and assemble easily if you are approaching them correctly Phil,
                    As soon as you feel that you are getting too much resistance, it’s time to stop and re-assess !

All the best ,

Randy

david pierce
                    Participant

Porsche911,
                      There is really no better way learn. You may want to purchase some inexpensive practice watches from Uncle Larry or Ebay. You will be amazed at the number of things you can break dissembling and assembling watches. It will take awhile but most of us went through the same learning experience. If you need some moral support watch BUNN SEPECIAL on Youtube.
                      david

porsche911
                      Participant

Hi David
                        Thanks for the heads up on bunn special, absolutely fantastic, I love the end when the watch wont go back in the case and all he wants is his lunch LOL.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.