Home Forums General Discussion Forum Finding a correct weight for lost old clocks weights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rafaelmoros1960
    Participant

Hi i am new in the forum,

How can i find the correct weight for losts weights in an old (1777) clock , ok, i can guess, but i watn someting beter like a calculus .

Thanks.

Rafael Moros.

:D

I am From Venezuela as you can see i do not know englis very well , my natural language is español – amigos –

chris mabbott
      Participant

Hola Rafael, sin problema, le entendemos perfectamente :)

There was a thread some time ago where someone gave the calculations you require, I’m sure they will chime in..

Welcome to the forum…

cazclocker
        Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

Hola Rafael, sin problema, le entendemos perfectamente :)

There was a thread some time ago where someone gave the calculations you require, I’m sure they will chime in..

Welcome to the forum…

Hola amigo! I hope to read the answer to Rafael’s question because I’ve wondered the same thing for a while now! I am guessing it would be some kind of formula based on number of wheels, tooth count, type of escapement, & other stuff like that.
          But WOW, we better help Rafael because how cool is it to have such an OLD clock – from 1777! The oldest clock I have is from maybe a century later.
          …Doug

arutha
          Participant

As far as I am aware there is not a definite equation for working out the weight needed to run a clock.
            I asked Bob this very question around the time I first started clock repair. He suggested fitting a set of scales to the gut line/chain and pulling down on it until the clock ran then getting a reading from the scales. This is a simple way to get an idea of what you need.
            might want to take a look at this thread I just found on the NAWCC forum
            http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?109623-Computations-on-how-to-calculate-weight-needed-for-a-weight-driven-clock
            Paul.

cazclocker
            Participant

Paul, that thread was pretty enlightening to read. I guess the consensus is that there is no formula, as such. Although Bob’s opinion would have been good enough for me. I guess the thing is that there are too many variables to allow for an exact formula. One thing that occurred to me is that the needed weight to make a clock run reliably would be different for a clock in pristine brand-new condition, nicely oiled and with polished & burnished pivots and no pallet wear, versus the VERY SAME clock a few years later, with thickened oil, a bit of pallet wear and worn pivots!
              …Doug

bernie weishapl
              Participant

I had a old clock that had no weights. They were old cast weights. What I did was I used a scale and pulled down on the pulley till the clock ran fairly well. IIRC it was about 7 lbs. I found a couple of weights that I bought. One was 8 lbs and the other was 10 lbs which I used on the strike side. I used these for the clock and it has been running now for 7 yrs with no problems. If it were me I would use the scale again to find where it will run reasonably well and then add a 1/2 to 1 lb. I have used this method now on several clocks over the past 25 yrs or so and it has worked for me.

rafaelmoros1960
                Participant

Ok, thanks for yours answers , i solved the problem guessing , i put weights until de clock and the chismes start to work and after that mi wife make a pair of beautifull weight (in brass) to that clock , now i am somethin like a local hero because i wass de clock maker that saved de oldest clock in de comunity.

Thanks — amigos —

Rafael Moros.

cazclocker
                  Participant

@rafaelmoros1960 wrote:

Ok, thanks for yours answers , i solved the problem guessing , i put weights until de clock and the chismes start to work and after that mi wife make a pair of beautifull weight (in brass) to that clock , now i am somethin like a local hero because i wass de clock maker that saved de oldest clock in de comunity.

Thanks — amigos —

Rafael Moros.

Rafael, is it possible you might post some pictures of the clock you saved? I would love to see such an old historic clock, and I am sure others here would like to see it too.
                    …Doug

rafaelmoros1960
                    Participant

Yes, i can present some pictures , b u t , 😳 i do not know how to do that , if some one explain to my sure i will.

I have meny pictures fron a tower clock that i repaired 2 years ago here in Venezuela in San Casimiro Town if you wan i can show that pictures to.(these is from 1895).

Rafael Moros.

cazclocker
                      Participant

@rafaelmoros1960 wrote:

Yes, i can present some pictures , b u t , 😳 i do not know how to do that , if some one explain to my sure i will.

I have meny pictures fron a tower clock that i repaired 2 years ago here in Venezuela in San Casimiro Town if you wan i can show that pictures to.(these is from 1895).

Rafael Moros.

Hola Rafael! I have found that the way to post pictures on this discussion forum is to first, upload them to some online photo-hosting website. Then you can simply post a link to each photo here on this forum. As far as I know (and if I am wrong, someone please correct me!) the reason you must do it that way is because the computer server that Bob Tascione uses to host this forum does not have enough capacity to host everyone’s pictures.
                        Here is how I post pictures here: I have a free account at http://www.photobucket.com . So the first thing I do is I upload pictures to my Photobucket account. Then, you can click a link on any particular photo you might want to share here, and just copy-and-paste it here on this forum. What will happen, is that every one (including yourself) will see a copy of the photo here on this forum, but it is actually only a link to the real photo that is being stored at Photobucket.
                        I am sorry if my explanation is not clear, or inaccurate. If anyone smarter than me (that would be ALL you other guys), maybe you could explain it better!
                        …Doug

gerene
                        Participant

Normally you can use the tab “upload attachment” under the window where you edit your reply. It has an optio to upload a file (picture) from your computer to the server. You first select the file and then click the “add the file” button to upload. Off course, uploading to a different server and referencing it in html from your message works also. However, if you delete the picture from that server, your message will be corrupted.

Jan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.