Home Forums General Discussion Forum Final rinse & Waltham Traveler Pocket Watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Is there any cheap alternatives for final rinse solution?

Bob Tascione

Happy Holidays Chaplin37!
        I’m assuming you’re referring to watches. Yes many people use Coleman Lantern Fuel as an alternative. Just remember that it’s extremely flammable so it can be dangerous to use so please take whatever precautions necessary to insure safety if you go this route. I’ve used it many times and find it suitable as a rinse but it does seem to leave a small residue which can affect the ability of watch oils to stay in place on jewels. Pegging the jewels with peg wood will remove the residue and seems to take care of the problem.
        Enjoy Chaplin!!!
        Bob

chaplin37
        Participant

Thanks Bob, is the coleman latern fuel the same as naphtha?

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin37,
            Yes I believe it’s the same thing. Also Ronson Lighter Fluid…just a larger container and cheaper.
            Bob

chaplin37
            Participant

Thanks bob, one more quick question. I have a waltham traveler pocket watch 16s date looks like it either 1914 or 1915 thats about all I know about it cant find a grade on it anywhere. I have the illustrated manual of american movements and they dont have this pocket watch listed or anything close to it. Im trying to find a hairspring and I found one on casker for a 16s and it is identical to the mainspring in my watch but it says it is for 21 jewels. My question is will this work for mine when my pocket watch is only 7 jewels.

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin37,
                You would need a stronger mainspring than what is used in the 21J movement. It’s a good idea to identify the movement before buying a mainsping unless you can match your old spring dimensions to the one you’re considering buying. The Traveler used 1888, 1899, 1908 and the Equity 16 1/2 size movements. If your serial number is 11,000,000 or higher then it’s probably not an 1888. It doesn’t resemble the movements on page 131 in your American Watch Movements book? If not could you put a pic of it up here?
                The mainspring used for the 1899, 1908 and Equity is number 2227 and it’s dimensions are 2.8-2.85 wide, 0.15-0.19 mm thick, 21 3/4-25 3/4 inches long. Note that the thickness ranges from 0.15 to 0.19. You would want to get one that’s at the stronger range. 0.18 or 0.19 since your Traveler has 7 jewels.
                If possible please post a pic of your movement if it’s different than the illustrations in the book.
                Please let us know what you come up with.
                Happy New Year Chaplin37!
                Bob

chaplin37
                Participant

Hi bob, it doesn’t ressemble the watch on page 131. The serial number is 19913757 and here is the picture of the movement. Thanks Bob.

Bob Tascione

Thanks for posting the pic Chaplin37,
                    You’re right about that plate arrangement not being in the Swigarts American Watch Movements book. I think that’s a 3/4 plate Equity model 1908. Your serial number places it within the date range when this movement was used. I believe it still uses the same mainspring in the stronger dimension range as mentioned in the above post. If you have or have access to the “American Pocket Watches Identification and Price Guide” by Roy Ehrhardt you can see this movement in drawing EA 45.
                    Hope this helps Chaplin37,
                    Bob

chaplin37
                    Participant

Thanks bob for the information. One more question, any help on a hairspring and jewels for the cock and foot? Im trying to find those too, any help would be great, thanks

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin37,
                        Sorry. I didn’t see your question earlier.
                        That’s a tough one. Finding a hairspring for your movement could be difficult. You might be able to find someone to vibrate a new hairspring for you but that would be pricey. You may try http://www.dashto.com to see if Tom has an old movement that you can buy with a good balance/hairspring that you can swap out.
                        Bob

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.