Home Forums General Discussion Forum Fast GF clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    estanek70
    Participant

I am working on a German made grandfather clock movement that I was asked to fix because it is gaining about ten minutes an hour. The pendulum appears to be OK and is installed correctly. The escape wheel is different from anything I have seen so far. It has very shallow teeth and the space between them contains a smaller tooth. I tried taking a picture of the wheel but I cannot get my camera to focus close enough to the wheel to see the teeth clearly. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

willofiam

howdy, check out this previous post (Hermle 451) is this the type of escapement you are dealing with?? are there any markings on the movement?? William

david pierce
        Participant

Estanek,
          Observe the excape wheel while it is running to see if any teeth are being skipped over. It is possible that just one worn tooth could account for the timing problem.
          david

arutha
          Participant

The reason for the clock gaining so much time is more than likley down to the escapement. Check that the pallets are not skipping over the escape wheel as it is a good possibility the depthing is wrong.
            William is the expert on thses clock movements! :)
            Paul.

estanek70
            Participant

thanks for responding. I checked the thread you referenced and that is not the escape wheel I am facing. The one I am working on has much shorter teeth making getting the depth correct very difficult. There are numbers on the back of the movement but no names. It does not appear to be a Hermle as those serial numbers are normaly two sets of three seperated by a hyphon.

estanek70
              Participant

AS I mentioned above, the teeth on the escape wheel are very shallow. I have tried adjusting the depth and there is a very small difference between stopping the movement and keeping the wheel from skipping teeth. I have inspected the wheel under magnification and I cannot see any excessive wear or worn teeth. I was able to see (and hear) the wheel skipping last night. I marked the spot on the wheel and will be working on it again this AM. Thanks again for your help.

willofiam

Hey estanek70, It is really hard to say without knowing what you have, Paul has in a previous thread explained how to post pictures, hopefully you can. in the least we can try and figure out the type of movement you have which would be helpful, Have fun, William

estanek70
                  Participant

I hope this picture helps.

willofiam

sorry to say but it looks like you have bad teeth :( , not you but the escape wheel, several are bent and it looks like at least one broken, that would explain your difficulties, William

arutha
                      Participant

I am not familiar with that movement but i see what you mean about the depth of the teeth! If those little points are the teeth then there isnt any suprise that it is skipping. Some of them are quite bent and from what i can tell there is wear in the teeth. I think you will have quite a problem getting it to run properly. If you cant find a replacement you need to look at getting another escape wheel cut. If neither of these are possible i can only suggest trying to straighten out the bent teeth as Bob shows in his video.
                        Good luck and please let us kow how it goes.
                        paul.

estanek70
                        Participant

Thanks, that was a really quick response. Do you have any idea what make the movement can be? The back plate simply says made in Germany and has the following numbers. UW32062B and underneath that number is 1019704. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Ed

Bob Tascione

Hi Ed,
                            That’s an Urgos movement and I think you can get a new wheel at Ronells. Let me check and I’ll get right back with you.

Bob

edit:
                            Here’s a link for you.
                            http://www.ronellclock.com/Urgos-Escape-Wheel-HP-64.htm

Enjoy!
                            Bob

estanek70
                            Participant

Hi Bob,

Thanks again.

Ed

david pierce
                              Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Estanek,
                                Observe the excape wheel while it is running to see if any teeth are being skipped over. It is possible that just one worn tooth could account for the timing problem.
                                david

From the picture it looks like the tooth that is being skipped over is the one in the 300 degree position in your photograph. With a 30 tooth escape wheel that should put the time up about 12 minutes per hour. The entire wheel looks worn out and as the others have stated it looks like it needs to be replaced.
                                david

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.