Home Forums General Discussion Forum Escape wheel moving backwards

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    gr8dane
    Participant

Hi Bob,

It is the newbie again with the Sessions Movement. You have helped me in the past. Particularly with pictures of a similar movement.

Long story short: disassembled clock, cleaned it then using pictures, I completely assembled the clock, it wouldn’t budge, disassembled; greased the mainspring; reassembled just the time side and movement works but with no verge; now the wheels will turn well under mainspring power. Problem is the Escapewheel is turning backward – CCW. I tried to reverse the mainspring by turning it over and re-assembled – same result. I’ve looked for a mainspring that is wound ‘the other way’ but none seem to be available. A pic is attached of the ‘original’ clock.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Jay

Bob Tascione

Hi Jay,
        Ok that’s a weird one.
        Can you possibly take a pic of your movement assembled to this point of the same front view as your previous pic?
        Thanks
        Bob

gr8dane
        Participant

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Yes – I can upload pics. I took several just a few moments ago. I also did a video to further demo this phenom but will need to send it via e-mail. I attempted to edit the video down a bit but no luck.

Thanks for your hlep.

Regards,

Jay

gr8dane
          Participant

Hi Bob,

Here is another batch of pics from the front side.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jay

Bob Tascione

Hi Jay,
              I should have been clearer on the camera angle that I was after. My fault. The angle on the “before” picture was perfect as I could see the click and how the mainspring hole end approached the post that it’s attached to. I’m not able to see this in any of the eight pics you put up there. But not important now as I watched the video that you emailed me. Looking from the “front” it looks like the escape wheel is rotating CW which would be the correct direction. I think if you put the verge in things would work fine. Try putting the minute hand on the minute post and let the train turn “slowly” under a little power. If it turns clockwise then all’s well.
              Please let us know what you find out Jay
              and have fun with it!

Bob

wingman
              Participant

Hello Jay

Having recently overhauled a Sessions I have lots of photos I can send you if you like.

I’m pretty sure my movement is the same as yours. I believe both springs wind counter clockwise.

Steve

gr8dane
                Participant

Hi,
                  Confusion abounds! Thanks Steve for the post. Thanks Bob for the tip about the minute hand. I actually don’t have hands for the clock yet – didn’t have any when I purchased it. I am posting several different pics. Bob – these are the ones you wanted. Before my forum session times out, I will post the pics and then say more.

Regards,

Jay

gr8dane
                  Participant

Hi again,

Bob – I have made a ‘slow-mo’ vid with a hand – that was a great tip you gave me. Yes, the minute had moves in the correct direction. I will send the vid via e-mail. It is only about a minute long. Steve – if you would like the vid, let me know.

The escape wheel is still moving backward. I thought the escape wheel was supposed to move in the direction the teeth were pointing. Bob – in video #5 of your clock repair course, the escape wheel is moving in the direction the teeth are pointing. So, I thought that was the proper direction. But on my Sessions, the escape wheel is moving in the opposite direction of the teeth. Can the verge function properly?

Jay

Bob Tascione

Hi Jay,
                      Ahhhh, ok…I understand now why you thought the escape wheel was running backwards. The movement in the number 5 clock vid. uses a half dead beat escapement. Those teeth do lean forward so that would be confusing. I believe your Sessions movement is a recoil. Take a look when you have a chance in the Animation Workshop at the Recoil and Half Dead beat animations and you’ll see how to determine which type you have. The shape of the verge (pallets) is different. The Recoil escape wheel teeth will lean backwards or away from the direction that it’s rotating.

Bob

gr8dane
                      Participant

Hi Bob,

I am totally amazed at my newbieness! You are absolutely correct. I didn’t even think about the other type of escapement – totally missed it. I put the verge back in the movement this evening and the train would take a few beats and then stop – so I have additional work to do. The absolutely good news is that you found the problem. I had a feeling I was missing something. A contributing factor is that I have cut-out and assembled 4 wooden clocks – all use the dead beat escapement, which I now realize. The Sessions was my first experience with a recoil escapement.

I truly thank you for your patience and willingness to help me through this learning curve. It was a valuable experience for me.

Very best regards,

Jay

Bob Tascione

Hi Jay,
                          You’re very welcome…It was fun! I’m just happy we figured that one out.

Enjoy!
                          Bob

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.