Home Forums General Discussion Forum Elma KWM bushing machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Thought I would bring this up since we were talking preachers and depthing tools. I had used a preacher before I bought my depthing tool. Anyway been having a little trouble lately with my Elma KWM bushing tool with the shaft that holds the cutters wobbling. Just had play in it and has been the cause of some bushings not being right if I wasn’t paying attention. So decided to check it out today. Found that the brass center shaft bushing had a awful lot of play in it. So decided I had better do something. I had looked everywhere and found one NOS. I cleaned up the machine and installed the new one. Now it is tight and after applying a good grease it is smooth. Now that I have the old one for a pattern I am going to turn a new one. Not sure I will ever need it as this one lasted 20 yrs or more that I have had it. But will make one anyway just to say I did. The outside diameter of the brass is .628″, the shaft hole is .397″ which is a X bit, and just need to figure what threads are on each end. I have some 3/4″ and 5/8″ brass but 5/8″ is .625″ so is to small so will have to turn down the 3/4″. Anyway should be a fun project when the snow flies.

I bought this Elma unit about 20 yrs ago or so from a clock repairman and not sure how long he had it. I paid $150 for it complete with a KWM pivot gauge, 2 complete sets of bushings totaling 1170 pieces organized in a two drawer system which is mounted into a wooden base, complete set of pushers, complete set of reamers and a chamfering cutter which would cost around $1900 to buy new.

chris mabbott
      Participant

Good job Bernie, there’s always something, if we’re not repairing the keepers of time, then we’re doing maintenance on the tools that repair them..
        What type of grease did you select for the brass bushing?

So how much are you going to sell me that tool for when & if the boss allows you to retire 😆

bernie weishapl
        Participant

😆 She thinks it should be worth at least $1200. I just bought a new set of cutters for it so it is now as good as a new one. It also has the full compliment of bushings. I used a white lithium grease on it. I will probably start taking it down and cleaning it at least once a year. I have been kinda negligent in doing this as I hadn’t had it apart in years. Depending on how much use they get I always clean up my lathes every 12 to 24 months so I just need to start cleaning all my machines like that. Just cleaned and relubed my mainspring winder.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.