Home Forums General Discussion Forum Elgin Pocket Watch runs fast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rlbltd
    Participant

I overhauled and Elgin pocket watch – size 6s, grade 94 – serial #2706464 and even though I have adjusted the regulator as far to the slow setting as it can go, it still gains about an hour every 12 hours.
      Any suggestions?

steadypin
      Participant

Hello, I have had this problem after servicing a watch and most of the time I found the hairspring to be the issue. You must make sure no coils are touching which makes the hairspring shorter and this would make it run faster. Also a good idea is to demagnetize the hairspring and make sure it is clean and free of any rust or oil. Another check is the balance wheel for any missing balance screws. There still are other problems that would make it run faster but just one more to consider is whether the pocket watch has the proper size mainspring one to strong could force the escapement run faster. I this would be a good stating place to help solve your problem. Good luck, Steadypin.

willofiam

another quick check is to see if the hairspring is in between the regulating pins.

rlbltd
          Participant

Thanks, guys
            Hairspring is OK, cleaned in one dip, demagnetized, no coils touching and between regulator pins. No missing balance screws.
            I am thinking I need to add weight so will purchase balance wheel washers.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.