Home Forums General Discussion Forum Elgin Pocket Watch Click Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    byjwr1
    Participant

Hello Fellow Members,

I have an Elgin size 18, open face, hinged (both sides) Pocket Watch. This is an 1891 vintage, key wound and key
      set PW. This PW has a click problem and I would like to take a look to see if the click spring needs to be reset or
      if the click is broken and needs to be replaced. Looking at the bridge/cover, it appears it can be removed by lifting
      2 screws. It also looks like the spring barrel will lift with the bridge. There are 3 very very small screws set in a
      triangle pattern attaching the bridge to the spring barrel. My question is, can the bridge and spring barrel be removed
      without disassembling the movement. I tried removing the two large bridge screws and lifting the bridge. It doesn’t
      seem like it wants to come out and I don’t want to force it and do damage to some other part. I would appreciate
      your imput!

Thanks

BYJWR1

Bob Tascione

Hi BYJWR1,
        I believe you can lift the bridge off of the mainspring arbor (remove balance first) and that the 3 tiny screws you are referring to are to secure the arbor cup which is the arbor bearing to the bridge. I’m not absolutely sure as I don’t have the same movement here with me to check but I do have some Elgin kw movements here that have the 2 screw arbor cup configuration. I just can’t remember if there is much of a difference under the bridge. With the movements that I have the click is under the dial. Removing the dial reveals a small plate with two screws holding it down. The click and click spring are under this plate. There’s a small hole in the plate where a tiny pin can be inserted to push the click back which with the aid of a let down key the mainspring power can be released. I also checked an 18s key wind Waltham movement which has 3 tiny screws for securing the arbor cup and it is almost identical to the Elgin set up only with a slightly different power let down setup. It too is located under the dial. I don’t remember if the click and click spring look different on your movement but they may still be located under the dial.
        Please let us know what type of setup you find and I’ll check around here a bit more tomorrow morning to see if I have an older Model 1 laying around somewhere.
        ’till then Enjoy BYJWR1,
        Bob

byjwr1
        Participant

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your input, It was very helpful! The Elgin Key Wound PW that I have is close to your description. The
          click and click spring are under the dial. I found a small cover plate with two screws and a hole. After removing
          this cover, I was expecting to find a broken click or spring. They both appeared to be in good shape, but, the spring
          had slipped under the click. I corrected this and the click worked as intended when winding. Unfortunately, another problem developed. After winding 3 or 4 turns, the spring appeared to slip. I removed the spring barrel and I am
          now looking into the slipping problem.

Thanks Again!

BYJWR1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.