Home Forums General Discussion Forum Elgin jewel settings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    peterclare
    Participant

Greetings all, I recently acquired a nice Elgin 16s pocket watch that seems to be in pretty good condition except for needing a clean and a new jewel for the third wheel.

To me it looks to be an easy job as it’s a screw down jewel setting, but where would I source one?

I have a few European watches that need new jewels and I am working up the courage to bite the bullet and get a Seitz tool, but in the mean time I thought this one would be a good start to find some sources for jewels and jewel settings.

I’ve attached an image of the new arrival.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Peter

Bob Tascione

Hi Peter,
        I can’t think of anyone that sells plate jewels in settings but it’s early here and still need my morning cup of coffee. Minds not working yet. If no one comes to mind then I will check around online a little later today to see if I can find someone.
        Might get lucky,

Bob

peterclare
        Participant

Hi Bob, even a source for the jewels would be fine, then I’ll figure out a way to get it in the setting.

Regards

Peter

arutha
          Participant
            Bob Tascione

No luck on locating the jewel settings complete Peter.

The old burnish jewels are also next to impossible to find now. If those were gold settings I would do my very best to find burnish jewels and rub them in to keep the watch original but with the brass settings you may wish to convert them over to readily available friction jewels.

Seitz friction jewel assortments can be purchased from most watch supply houses. The link to the assortment that Paul posted also looks like a good assortment.

Wish I had better news for you Peter. I hope this helps.
              Bob

peterclare
              Participant

Thanks for the responses all. Looks like they are gold settings so I’ll start looking for the jewels. The hunt is half the fun…

Regards

Peter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.