Home Forums General Discussion Forum Elgin Dial Washer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wingman
    Participant

I’m working on an Elgin 18 key wind pocket watch that I bought as a “basket case”. The watch had been badly mangled by someone who had tried to do a repair. I think the watch is missing its dial washer but I don’t know if this model used one and I can’t locate a parts manual for Elgin pocket watches. Does anyone know if the older (1872) S/N 223881, key wind and key set watch used a dial washer?

Bob Tascione

That’s a good question Steve.
        I don’t know if they came from the factory with dial washers or not. I do know that many watches don’t need them since the minute hand is close enough to the top of the hour pipe to keep it from lifting high enough to disengage from the pinion. Most watches that I run across do have a washer but not all. If it doesn’t need one then I don’t use one. You can test it before putting the dial on by putting the minute hand on and then lifting the hour pipe. If the hand stops it before the teeth disengage then I don’t think you really need one.
        I too would be curious to know if they left the factory with one. If anyone knows the answer or hears something about it please post it up here.
        Thanks and enjoy!

Bob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.