Home Forums General Discussion Forum Elgin 315 Jewel setting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cusimano
    Participant

Hi All,
      I’m working on my first repair project. An Elgin model 315 model 3 s/n 27749665. I did purchase an extra movement for parts…. The mainspring was broken, and I have successfully installed a new one. Of course thats not the only issue, that would be to easy. Currently the watch ticks and the balance moves beautifully for about 15 seconds and stops. It looks like a cracked jewel for the “lever pivot” …. on both movements …lol My question what type of setting is this jewel in ? is it friction set ? there are no screws around it. I do have a seitz jewel set. Any thoughts would be appreciated,
      Thank you
      Chris

david pierce
      Participant

Chris,
        Go to Youtube and pull up the WATCH REPAIR CHANNEL. Mark Lovick has a great video on how to replace a watch jewel. After you watch the video I will trade you a Seitz Jeweling set for your Favorite #3 lathe.:mrgreen: Problem solved.:idea:
        david

chris mabbott
        Participant

David have you been skipping your lathe acquirers anonymous meetings again 😆

My fellow brother Chris, is it the pallet bridge jewel that you have circled in the photo? Just wanna make sure.

If yes, the chances are that it is a rubbed in jewel. You don’t normally see a mix of the two in early American watches and yours has the composite bridge jewel settings which should also be rubbed in.

To be 100% certain, as there are no absolutes, if you can remove the pallet bridge, turn it upside down on a dark surface. Take your #4 loupe and use it on your mobile camera to take a close, clear macro shot of the underside of the jewel.

Also check the other jewels in your watch to see if they are rubbed in, which I think you will find that they are..

Come on back to us there big fella..

cusimano
          Participant

hey there,
            thanks for the quick replies gentleman… very much appreciated.
            yes i believe that its the pallet bridge… holding the the pallet lever …. between the balance staff and the escape wheel.
            I’ve been out wine tasting all afternoon, so I’m more than a little of balance ….
            But before i left i pusher the jewel out with my seitz tool …. it came out easily , but in two pieces.
            I really liked the 4x loupe trick… thanks….. here are two pics of the bridge with the jewel removed.
            After reading your post i believe you may be right about the rubbed in jewel, but od=f course I have never seen a real example, just the book drawings.
            I do how ever have the tools to rub it in its thats the case.
            Anyway… here are the two shots … one from of each side. ….. remember i have two 315 movements so the images are from the “practice” movement.
            Ohhh , Dave don’t have the “Favorite No3 Lathe” anymore, i sold it to a kid around the corner for 20 bucks …… just kidding … 😆 … I wouldn’t do that to you.
            Thank you for your insights, this is really great fun !

chris mabbott
            Participant

Chris,

I can’t tell from the photo, but when I get back this afternoon ill post a couple of photos of the rubbed in type, that’ll give you a reference at least…

Just a word of caution when handling these pallet bridges, they can be bent with a tad too much force. Be gentle:-)

cusimano
              Participant

Thanks for the advice and the quick reply’s !!
                I posted the images on the nawcc forum and just got a replay, the gentleman referred to the setting as bezel, would that be the same as rubbed in jewel ?
                I have the tools for that.
                Cc

chris mabbott
                Participant

Yes it’s the same thing.

The only difference is the setting. This setting is either pressed in the bridge OR it could have been cut as an integral part of the bridge material.

Be very careful not to damage the bezel lip.
                  If you do damage it then you’ll have to make a new one or install a friction jewel..

I suggest that you take measurements just in case..

cusimano
                  Participant

Thanks Chris,
                    I have the tools for this and think i found the right jewel… and I have been measuring the crap out of everything…
                    I let you know how it goes …
                    Cc

cusimano
                    Participant

Hi Gentleman,
                      Here is an update to my jewel plight….
                      Whooo Hooow Success !!! … after 2 tries the Elgin came to life, the balance wheel just started spinning. For a moment I felt like a god ….. lol
                      This project was my first attempt at bringing a pocket watch back from the dead. In the end I replaced the mainspring and replaced the rubbed in jewel that this chain began with. I want to thank you all for your help and insight. In this new hobby of horology that I have undertaken my aspirations and dreams are to have the ability to find broken-down watches and bring them back to the world of the living and send them back out into the world. I am more optimistic in regards to this lofty goal, thank you again.
                      Chris

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Great job Chris.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.