Home Forums General Discussion Forum Elgin 18 Grade 73 Mainspring Let Down Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    wingman
    Participant

Does anyone know of a good way to let down the mainspring on this watch? The click is located under the mainspring barrel so you cannot access it to let down the spring. Also due to single bridge plate you cannot remove the lever to allow a controlled run down.

Steve

Bob Tascione

Hi Steve,
        I think your movement should have a small click access hole on the edge where the mainspring barrel is located (see images). The images below are of a different Elgin movement but should be similar. Give the let down key a little clockwise turn and then gently push a pin into the hole to move the click back and then let the key spin slowly.
        Hope this helps Steve,
        Bob

Enjoy!

wingman
        Participant

Thanks Bob

I just picked up a nice 1872 to 1874 key wind Elgin at a Pawn Shop. It has the same type of let down. I found that someone had already did it wrong as the ratchet wheels is badly stripped of half its teeth. The watch also requires a new mainspring, minute wheel and balance staff. It should give me hours of fun. I’ve located all of the parts except the ratchet wheel.

Cheers
          Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.