Home Forums General Discussion Forum Elgin 16s 573 winding mechanism…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I’m trying to find an image or exploded view showing the lever set winding mechanism for an Elgin 16s grade 573. Apparently, there is stud that fixes the lever setting which is missing. This one came without a dial. I’ve looked online, in Swigart’s, and Chicago School of watchmaking. For all I can see, there’s some sort of stud around which the setting level rotates. The hole’s not threaded so it can only be a stud that’s missing. I’m stumped.

Here’s the picture before disassembly – the red cloud indicated where some sort of anchorage should be.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

tmac1956
      Participant

All

I watched one of Bunn Special’s videos and found one that looks very close to the mechanism that I have. I am missing a part – just as I suspected.

Good old Bunn Special – he helped me out again. ;)

Thanks!
        Tom

bernie weishapl
        Participant

The picture I saw looked like the same part you show and may have the stud in it. Not sure though.

arutha
          Participant

I think it is the setting lever screw you have missing, its the small screw you back off to pull the stem out.
            Should look something like this

randy
            Participant

I think that Paul nailed it !

tmac1956
              Participant

Paul:

Yes that appears to be missing. But there is also part that sets atop of the lever arm itself that shows in the second picture. What is that part called?

Oh… thanks for the picture – now I know what to look for!

Thanks!
                Tom

Bob Tascione

Hey Tom,
                  Still on my first cup of coffee this morning so might be wrong but…I think that would be the setting lever.
                  Bob

tmac1956
                  Participant

Bob:

That’s it – I just found it in the Swigart’s catalogue. It’s called the “Lever Setting Winding Arbor Locator for Lever Set”. I think I need to really buy the Elgin catalogue that you recommended.

Thanks!
                    Tom

tmac1956
                    Participant

All:

It looks like I’ll have to make the part shown in the second photo. I have an assortment of spring steel shim sheets, however, I don’t know what thickness to use. If anyone has this part and can mic it for me that would certainly be helpful. Alternately, a good guess wood be good too. I’m just trying to get the mechanism fixed so that I can continue with Bob about the pallet stones.

Thanks!
                      Tom

david pierce
                      Participant

Tom,
                        The part only needs to be thick enough to do the job it is supposed to do. A good start would be the same thickness of the part it engages with. I am going on the assumption that the part is a cam lever and not a spring. If the part is a spring then spring steel would be the best choice. The drawback is, spring steel is almost impossible to machine with drills and end mill cutters. It stamps ok and can be ground as long as you don’t overheat the metal. If the part is a cam lever brass should work fine as the part is part of the keyless works and will only be used occasionally when setting and/or winding.
                        david

tmac1956
                        Participant

David:

The piece in the photo actually helps hold the setting level in place by sitting on top of it and gives the detent screw something to thread into. The screw just runs through the setting lever and threads into the piece which then pulls it up against the plate.

Thanks,
                          Tom

david pierce
                          Participant

Tom,
                            Then it is just a clamp. Make it out of something easy to machine with the tools you have. Brass should work well as a clamp.
                            david

tmac1956
                            Participant

David:

Yes – brass should be easy to work.

Thanks!
                              Tom

david pierce
                              Participant

Tom,
                                I am sure that you will figure out the best way to make the part with what you already have, but I would like to throw a few suggestions your way. You can make a pattern out of thick paper or thin cardboard and trim it to size with sissors. Then glue the pattern to a piece of sheet brass. You can then saw and file the piece to the pattern. Another approach you may want to try is to use your milling machine to make vertical plunge cuts around the curved contours and conventional mill the straight portions of the part.
                                david

Bob Tascione

Hi Tom and David,
                                  Thought I would jump in here with a suggestion. I would personally stick with steel for this part since the piece is fairly thin leaving space for only a couple of threads. This part is already prone to stripping which may be the reason that it’s missing. Davids idea of using a piece of paper or cardboard is a good one. The part can be made by first drilling and tapping the hole and then either filing to fit or filing to the shape of the template. The thickness isn’t too critical but I would make it as thick as possible. As long as it doesn’t interfere with the back of the dial.
                                  Hope this helps,
                                  Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.