Home Forums General Discussion Forum eBay Hacked

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Did everyone log into eBay yesterday only to find a password reset dialogue? This is the first time ever that I’ve received this on eBay, which kinda made me go …..Huh, WTF??
      Then I see that someone cracked the site LOL Which was long overdue IMHO.

I’ve had a few issues with eBay, most recently it was a redirect bug, an annoying thing that when I clicked on a link within eBay, say to view an item, instead of the item, it took me to a gaming site or another completely different location.
      I contacted eBay out of courtesy, to inform them, and I spent a frustrating 2.5 hrs going from one useless person to another, each time having to explain the situation, until I finally hung up lol

Ya know all of those annoying pop up advertising banners you see, I think they’re the problem as in they are flash or java based, easy to crack and add a nasty inside their code..

You might want to keep an eye open for any suspicious activity in your account, but personally I think it was more of a Point Made attack, as in.. Look how unsecure your site is LOL

bernie weishapl
      Participant

I noticed the same thing Chris. I changed my password for whatever that will do. I bought a few items for my taig lathe and it just seemed a little more quirky than usual. Taking me to sites that I don’t even know. So will keep a eye on things and maybe stay away for a while.

david pierce
        Participant

Not that this comment will do any good but Ebay is a horrible company to deal with. They offer a “money back gurantee” if the buyer does not receive the item they paid for. When the item does not arrive and the signature confirmation is not produced, they tell the buyer that since the seller provided tracking information the buyer must eat the loss. The tracking information only provides the route the package took. Without a signature confirmation there is no information about who received the package or if it was even delivered. Ebay ignores this inconvenient detail and then tells the buyer to go pound sand. I have purchased a lot of items from Ebay but will not be doing much with them in the future. They offered a “buyer protection gurantee” but they will not honor it.
          david

tmac1956
          Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

Did everyone log into eBay yesterday only to find a password reset dialogue? This is the first time ever that I’ve received this on eBay, which kinda made me go …..Huh, WTF??
            Then I see that someone cracked the site LOL Which was long overdue IMHO.

I’ve had a few issues with eBay, most recently it was a redirect bug, an annoying thing that when I clicked on a link within eBay, say to view an item, instead of the item, it took me to a gaming site or another completely different location.
            I contacted eBay out of courtesy, to inform them, and I spent a frustrating 2.5 hrs going from one useless person to another, each time having to explain the situation, until I finally hung up lol

Ya know all of those annoying pop up advertising banners you see, I think they’re the problem as in they are flash or java based, easy to crack and add a nasty inside their code..

You might want to keep an eye open for any suspicious activity in your account, but personally I think it was more of a Point Made attack, as in.. Look how unsecure your site is LOL

The real issue would be if somehow the hackers gained access to your PayPal account through the eBay site. That’s what I worry about. If that happened it probably won’t come out anytime soon.

Later,
            Tom

arutha
            Participant

Hi Tom,
              Paypal is run as a completely seperate company and as far as I am aware there was no possibility of these hackers gaining your paypal password. The main issue is identitiy theft from this hack. I know a lot of people don’t like e-bay but I would not have been able to find half of the equipment I needed if it wasn’t for ebay, I also never would have met Daryn. to me e-bay is invaluble, I have sold items on there for almost double what I would have got elsewhere.
              No matter what you do on the internet the main thing is you have to stay safe, have a good antivirus (I use Avast free edition) and I also routinely scan for malware/spyware with Malware bytes (this will find and stop the malware that re-directs you, it is not ebays site doing this). It takes a little work to stay safe but to me it is worth every minute.
              With regard to ebay, it is the sellers responsibility to make sure the item gets to the buyer in good condition and does get there. The only time you should have a problem is if the seller doesn’t have a returns policy, if they don’t accept returns then you are taking a gamble. Ebay does its uttmost to protect buyers but I know they have different rules on e-bay UK as opposed to ebay US. I got screwed once with a set of 6mm collets from a US seller which I paid $200 for plus import duty and customs charges. When I got them they were 6.5mm and completely useless to me. Because the seller had listed “No returns” ebay sided with him so I was stuck with them.
              Paul.

david pierce
              Participant

In my case I had no dispute with the seller. I paid for the item, the seller shipped the item with a signature confirmation for delivery. Aparently UPS ignored the signature confirmation request and refused to reimburse the seller for the loss. When Ebay advertised their “buy with confidence” gurantee, “you receive the item or your money back”, any reasonable person would take this to mean what is says. Ebay never advertised themselves as a buyer beware operation but as company that would allow customers to buy with confidence from the service they offer. The only action Ebay took was to try and blame the seller for the problem. When the seller produced the tracking information Ebay refused to honor their gurantee even though the tracking information did not include my signature for receipt of the item. I paid $189.00 plus shipping charges for an Item I never received. When a person or a company offeres a gurantee for something in order to get someone to use their service, this implies that they assume overall responsibility for the transaction. They should then start the process to collect from the party responsible for the problem. Instead they simply told me that I was out the money I paid for the item, knowing full well that the amount was too small to take them to court.
                david

arutha
                Participant

The issue here was between the seller and UPS, it was his duty to put in an insurance claim against UPS and e-bay should have refunded you the money. Something sounds very wrong to me.
                  Paul.

david pierce
                  Participant

Yes, the seller told me that they put a claim in with UPS. UPS may or may not have paid the seller but I never received my money back or the item I paid for. Something is extremely wrong here. Ebay advertises a “buyer protection gurantee” to put buyers at ease when purchasing items from Ebay. Ebay should have refunded my money as they advertise on their main page. Their statement says “receive the item or get your money back”. Since the tracking information was not able to produce my signature as receiving the item, it should be obvious that I did not receive the item. Ebay told me that since the seller provided tracking information I would not be reimbursed. In my view this is disingenuous as everything that is shipped has tracking information. The tracking information does not mean that the item was received by the buyer, it simply shows the routing of the package.
                    david

chris mabbott
                    Participant

It’s a kinda double edged sword, there is shipping with tracking and there is shipping with tracking AND signature required upon delivery. Obviously the cost is different but, at least there is physical proof that an item has not been received, or the contrary.

As this refund policy is via PayPal and not through ebay, as a singular entity, regardless of the fact that PP owns eBay, this policy is only effective if you meet at least 2 or more of the following…

1. You make your purchase through PP

2. You have selected tracked/signed for shipping.

3. You open an official case via eBay/PP

4. You obtain a form from your local PO staring that the tracking number has not arrived at that location and therefore has not been delivered.

5. You have received an invoice from the seller confirming that your details are correct.

It’s easy as long as civil communication is made but there is always more involved, as the Paypal service is being dropped by many businesses due to lack of seller protection.
                      I’m sure for every 20 honest people, there is one dishonest one who will claim that they did not receive their goods even though they did!

Really, most times the seller is left holding the bag because a buyer tried to save a few $$ on shipping.
                      It happened to me once and painful as it was, the fair thing was to request a 50% refund as it was the post that failed, the seller fulfilled his obligation. Since then I bite the bullet and select the more expensive but secure mode of postage,

david pierce
                      Participant

Chris,
                        When I purchased the item the shipping address was my USPS PO Box. I have had almost zero problems when items were shipped through our postal service. The seller refused to ship any other way other than UPS so I had no choice in the matter. UPS in my area has a terrible reputation for damaging and losing freight, then refusing to pay the insurance claim. The actual problem in this matter was clearly UPS for not properly following the shipping instructions. That said, the gurantee was offered by Ebay Buyer Protection. They should have honored their gurantee and delt with the seller and UPS. My only role in this matter was to purchase and pay for an item, yet I had to suffer the loss. I know full well that if I took them to court I would win but they know that this is financially unrealistic. I am certain that I am not the only buyer that has been ripped off due to their false advertising but they continue to do this because they can get away with it.
                        david

chris mabbott
                        Participant

David they have a bad rap here too, for delivering damaged goods or sometimes not at all!

One guy on a military forum I’m on, purchased a very expensive medal from a collector in the UK, I think its value was around 12000 euros, he shipped it to Holland via UPS, it never showed! When both of them attempted to make an insurance claim, UPS informed them that there was no such item in their system, regardless of the paper work that the seller provided proving the contrary.
                          Apparently the UPS clerk in the UK was busy and didn’t enter the transaction into the system!
                          Both the buyer and the seller opened a law suit against UPS and they won the cost of the FULLY insured item, plus damages. So a little victory, but still, the hassle they went through.

I don’t know if UPS made an internal investigation, because in the end it cost them a good deal of money and a bad rap. One of the things that I never agreed upon is any mail service placing the value of an item for all to see, on the front of the box/envelope, it’s like saying … HERE I AM, STEAL ME.. 🙄

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.