Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks Drying Box

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    clockman1509
    Participant

I needed a drying box after cleaning my first clock.I used a plastic cake box and plastic egg tray.
      The egg tray is from our local farm where we buy our eggs.
      By using this as an insert for the dryer box the clock parts can be separated out so the hot air circulates well.
      The cost for the cake box was £2 the insert cost nothing. just a few minutes to pop in the holes and your done.
      Photo’s attached.

arutha
      Participant

Brilliant idea Alan, that mech looks nice and clean, all ready to put back together :)
        Paul.

willofiam

FANTASTIC, shear genius, do you have vent holes in the box also??? William

clockman1509
          Participant

Hi willofiam, yes there are about twenty drilled in the base, When the dryer is going full blast it lift slightly to let out any dampness, a bit like a hovercraft but no forward or backward movement. I will make another with holes in the sides instead to see if it improves the drying.
            All the best
            Alan

willofiam

yeh that is possible it would help the drying, what do you think about some feet on the one you got? William

clockman1509
              Participant

Hi William, I will do that on my next build and post photo’s. Thanks for the encouragement. It is good to get feedback on ones ideas.
                Alan

digitaltripper
                Participant

Hi all, GREAT idea. I have been laying the parts on a towel and passing the dryer over them. Be really nice to have this so I can walk away and do other things!!

Jim

dave booth
                  Participant

I know this is an older thread, but I just came across it. I found a mid-1960’s hair dryer at a local Goodwill store, for seven bucks. It is one of those kind that had the plastic hood and flexible hose. I discarded the hood, and just plug the hose into the side of the box. When not in use, it all fits inside my drying box for storage. I put it on low heat, and plug it into the wall outlet with a “security” timer set for one hour.

joe austin
                    Participant

I have used a hair dryer in the past, but quit doing so for fear of dust. Instead I use a light bulb in an old lamp, and a box with the hole drilled to facilitate fitting the bulb inside the box and the lamp outside. I am sure this could be made to look nice, however I just use it for function. For watch parts I place them under a glass shade, and lay the lamp on the outside of the shade. It will completely dry a disassembled watch in about 15 minutes.

Bob
                      Keymaster

Image test:

Click on Image to increase size

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 1.37.35 PM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.