Home Forums General Discussion Forum Drill Chucks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

What were we talking about? :?

daryn
      Participant

I recently bought a super precision drill chuck and had to send it back as it was way outside tolerance, the replacement was also well outside thier specified tolerance, as was the third, it seems the little included test certificate isn’t worth much these days, these were not cheap “import “chucks, I know due to thier design there is a limit to accuracy but even so. . .
        A collet is always going to be better, especially with carbide drills as even slightly running out can cause breakage, even if the collet or chuck is in the lathe tailstock it still needs to be on centre

david pierce
        Participant

Daryn,
          Your comment has now shifted from a drill slipping in a chuck due to a “weak wrist” to the drill slipping in a chuck due to putting the bit into the chuck in an improper fashion or not knowing how to properly sharpen the bit. You asket me to “please explain” ??????? Do you honestly think that a drill cannot slip in a chuck for any reason other than improper drill bit installation or a person not knowing how to properly sharpen a drill bit. The reason drill bits slip in chuck jaws is due to the torque force at the shank overcoming the gripping force of the jaws. This can happen for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with your statements. What I do not understand is the nasty frame of your comments or why you did not think through your statements clearly before posting them. I always hoped that these type of negative cheap shot tactics would never have appeared on this forum but aparently times have changed.
          david

arutha
          Participant

@Daryn wrote:

A case of separation due to a common language I think,
            I was not meaning you personally having a weak wrist,
            I I definitely wouldn’t consider using a pipe wrench on a precision piece of equipment of any description,
            Having drill slippage is not going to happen if tools are used correctly, it’s either going to be because someone has not tightened it correctly, hence the weak wrist comment, or the feed rate is too much or the drill is sharpened incorrectly for the material being drilled,
            I have no idea what relevance the rest of your comment has, please explain?
            And yes, advising people to graunch down on keyed chuck rather than use it correctly I would consider “wrong information”

David,
            after reading through Daryn’s response and knowing him personaly I can state he is not “nastily framing” his comments. He is of course able to speak for himself but I think you are being a little unfair in your response. We have talked about how text can be read in the wrong way before on this forum and if things start getting even a little heated either Bob, William or myself will step it to cool things down.
            We will not allow “cheap shot tactics” on this forum and I would kindly ask you both to continue to discuss drill chucks, the information coming through is very interesting but remember we are all friends on here and any information that comes up on the forum is open to being questioned otherwise how do we learn?
            Paul.

daryn
            Participant

Forgive me for missunderstanding but I thought the forum was a place to discuss issues relating to horology in order to support and help eachother out, I did not think it was a place where people would become so abusive because an error has been pointed out, I really have no idea what you’re referring to with “cheap shot tactics “I’m bemused by this very personal and aggressive insulting comment,

tmac1956
              Participant

All:

It is easy to take things in the wrong way in this environment. It’s just that we humans need more than text when we communicate – specifically body language. For example without the physical component, a simple statement like: “I never said you stole that.” can be interpreted in many ways in an online forum.

Depending on one’s cultural background, this statement can mean many things to different people:

“I never said YOU stole that” – meaning that I said someone else stole it
                “I never said you STOLE that” meaning I didn’t say you stole that, but that you only borrowed it without telling the owner
                I never said you stole that” meaning that I didn’t say it, but someone else did
                “I never said you stole THAT” meaning I said you didn’t steal that, but that you stole something else
                “I never SAID you stole that” meaning that I never said you stole that, but I might have written it to someone

There are probably other permutations…

As an instructor in the online environment, I have seen this happen many times.

Just a little insight from someone who doesn’t know much about drill bits. Everything I know has come from David.

Later,
                Tom

daryn
                Participant

Talking of drill slippage, this can be used to advantage, not in a drill chuck of course, I have the usual pivoting jacot drum attachment for my watchmakers lathe, if I need to re-pivot something quite small, a watch scape pinion for example I do not hold the drill in a chuck or collet but rather I have a silver steel (drill rod) bar that is the correct sliding fit in the tailstock stock runner, in this is drilled and reamed a hole that is also a sliding fit, but for the drill shank, a little lathe spindle oil or heavy clock oil is used here to provide enough surface tension to drive the drill, it needs to be fed gently given the size, if the worst happens and the drill binds or snags in the hole it’s allowed to spin avoiding breakage and wrecking the job,
                  Kind regards
                  Daryn

daryn
                  Participant

If anyone would like a photo of the set up let me know and I’ll try my best to work out how to upload one, I’m a bit computer challenged I’m afraid!

jim1228
                    Participant

Hey Daryn,
                      If you can find a way to post some pictures, I would like to see them.

Jim

daryn
                      Participant

Hopefully the photo is attached. . . Kind regards
                        Daryn

daryn
                        Participant

This is the only way I’ve found to use the cheap pcb carbide drill bits without breaking them (when drilling hardened steel) if anyone else has a “failsafe”method I’d love to hear it!
                          Kind regards
                          Daryn

daryn
                          Participant

Regarding the reaming, if you don’t have or can’t find, or don’t want to buy a reamer just for one job as long as the bore is not running out then if you round off the cutting edge of a drill this will produce a nice score free hole, if you’re chuck does run out a little then gentle stoning of the drill diameter should help you get the desired size, at least for most horological tools the material cost is low enough to repeat the process if something doesn’t end up on size!
                            Daryn

jim1228
                            Participant

Daryn,
                              Brilliant set up. The attachment that goes on my tail stock is a bit different. I don’t think your attachment would fit on my 8mm Peerless. Did you fabricate the rods to fit yourself?
                              Jim

daryn
                              Participant

Hi Jim,
                                The rods with the brass ends (centring rod and collet holder are standard equipment, I did make the collet that happens to be fitted, I did make the “oil clutch drive ” rod pictured near the front,
                                Kind regards
                                Daryn

daryn
                                Participant

My lathe is a boley leinen reform it’s a smaller ww type pattern, the tailstock bore is 7.5mm,so not the normal size, the bore of the attachment is 5.5mm
                                  Daryn

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.