Home Forums General Discussion Forum Drill chuck help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vanhooglesnort
    Participant

I want to put a keyless Albrecht chuck on my Dumore 16-021. How do I get the current chuck off of the taper? I’m afraid to try anything drastic.

david pierce
      Participant

Van,
        I went through the same issue with mine. Mine had a JT-0 taper on the motor shaft and the three jaw key chuck that was already on it had a hole going completely through the chuck. I removed the motor/chuck assembly from the press and hung it upside down with the chuck resting on a fork like fixture that was secured in a vice. I then opened the chuck all the way and tapped the motor out of the shaft with a punch through the center of the chuck. I had a towel under the motor to catch it when it dropped. The chuck I put on mine was an Albrecht 15-J0. I like it because it can hold extremely small diameter drills and is rated at 50,000 rpms.
        david

arutha
        Participant

I think there are two different types of taper fitting if I am not mistaken. One type uses a pair of wedges which are hammered in to force out the taper, the other type is just friction fit. If you are having difficulty removing the chuck from the taper it might just be easier to buy the chuck with the taper already fitted. This is what I did with my last drill press as the old chuck was junk and the new keyless quality chuck transformed the machine.
          Paul.

david pierce
          Participant

Van,
            Did you get your Albrecht chuck mounted on your Dumore drill press?
            david

vanhooglesnort
            Participant

Yes, but no one can be more embarrassed than I, but you folks only know my handle anyway…so here’s the story.

I removed the armature to tap the spindle out of the chuck. In the process of removing the chuck (which was a Herculean task I might add) I broke a lead going into the commutator. I now have an awesome chuck on a dead motor. I’m trying to source a repair now.

As I said, embarrassing.

arutha
              Participant

Have you checked where the lead broke on the motor, can you not solder it back together?
                I hate it when things like that happen, and they do happen to the best of us :(
                Paul.

david pierce
                Participant

Van,
                  Please tell me you did not take the armature out of the motor housing to change the chuck. There are numerous electric motor repair shops in every major city so you should be able to get the motor repaired if you don’t think you can do it yourself. These motors can probably be replaced if you contact Dumore but I would imagine they would be very expensive.
                  david

vanhooglesnort
                  Participant

I took the armature out of the motor to remove the old chuck. I couldn’t find another way. Even then it took all morning. I think the Dumore folks expect the chuck to be permanent once it’s mounted; why wouldn’t you put a hole in the spindle?

I finally found a distributor who would respond to my inquiry…the new armature costs ~$170. I’m still looking for a repair shop, but I don’t speak the language here so it’s slow going.

By the way, their product is nice, but their support is terrible. I emailed the company and every distributor on the list and I got one response to my part search. One.

david pierce
                    Participant

Van,
                      The hole in the spindle is there due to the way the shaft is manufactured. It is ground on centers to ensure concentricity. That is one of the reasons it is such a fine product. If you damaged one of the windings, the armature should be checked on a special piece of equipment called a growler. If the windings are damaged the armature will have to be rewound. I assume from your last post you are not in the U.S.A. Every country on earth uses small electric motors so there should be a repair shop located within reach. If not, a repair shop can be located out of your area and the motor can be shipped to the facility and shipped back to you once the repair is completed.
                      david

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.