Home Forums General Discussion Forum Do you OIL your Pallet Lever Pivots??? I’ve seen both…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

So, which is it, Guys?

I’ve seen and read NOT to oil the pallet lever pivots…

But, I’ve also seen a guy with a funny English accent – who had about 8 different oils and greases – put oil on them (EDIT: Read – oiled the jewels). And, I believe this was on a high-end watch…the guy seemed pretty highly trained, as well…

Best,

Tim :)

randy
      Participant

Yes, and no.
        There are some who won’t oil them if they are in smaller movements ( ladies for example ), as they claim that even the lightest oils can cause sufficient drag on the action.

I would assume that somewhere in all the discussions, that some watch manufacturer actually did some tests to prove it out.

bernie weishapl
        Participant

On 16s and 18s pocket watches I do. Anything smaller I don’t. Just the way I was taught by my mentor.

arutha
          Participant

I was taught not to oil the pallet pivots if jewelled and the tiniest smear on non jewelled pivots.
            Paul.

maitai11
            Participant

Thanks, Guys:

That really clears things up, and it all makes a lot of sense. Much obliged :)

Best,

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Clear as mud! Huh Tim. lol

maitai11
                Participant

These little snippets of information are like feathers I can put into my cap, and soon enough I’ll have enough for a Native American headdress :) I’ll take what I can get! Haha:)

chris mabbott
                  Participant

This is a topic that is a source of much mixed opinion.

Again, one has to remember where the “no oil” on small pivots came from. The Swiss, back in the day, waaay before Rolex Tim 😆
                    And also, why did they recommend no oil? These are things that must be added to the reasons, I’ll let you search for those answers 😈

Personally, I agree with de Carle, I don’t feel comfortable with a dry pivot. You have two dissimilar materials, Garnet and steel, Which is harder?
                    Obviously, there will be friction, one will also wear the other. The oil is meant to reduce friction, so the type of oil is important as is the amount.
                    A thick oil will slow down even the most robust gear, lets say you use grease on the center wheel for example.

I do apply oil to the pallet fork pivots directly to the provided jewel oil sink, the smaller the movement. the less I apply. It’s ultimately what you feel comfortable doing.

arutha
                    Participant

If you ever have the luxury of two identical watch movements you can do experiments, try oiling the pallet pivots on one and not the other and see if there is any difference after a year. As you have already seen there are a lot of opinions on this subject and maybe none of them are wrong? One thing I would say is with regard to the oil, as Chris states, make sure it is fine and good quality, junk oil will stop those pallets in no time.
                      Paul.

maitai11
                      Participant

Thanks Chris and Paul. I, too, do not feel comfortable leaving pivots completely dry. But I like your idea too, Paul!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.