Home Forums Member Shop Pics. disciple_dan Shop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    disciple_dan
    Participant

Hey, Danny here. Just thought I’d show you guys my shop. I’m just getting started but I think I do some good work with this setup. now I just need some experience.

willofiam

Hey Danny, great looking work space, love the dryer box :D I also like the stainless bench, I have debated about that idea…how do you like it? I see the ollie baker mainspring winder, I have the same and use it all the time…Keep up the good work and study, be patient…your getting there ;) William

Bob Tascione

Looking good Dan. Nice setup.
          I really like that stainless bench too.
          I don’t know if it’s my laptop or not but can’t see the entire lathe. Curious what you have there?

Bob

arutha
          Participant

What a great start you have made, keep up the good work :)
            Paul.

disciple_dan
            Participant

Thanks, guys. I think it’s a pretty good start. I really need some school and most of all experience. Anybody can get some tools and say they are a mechanic but when somebody brings a car in, the truth will be revealed.
              My dad ask me once, You know what they call the guy that got the highest possible score on his medical examine? I sad, what? A doctor he says. Then he ask, you know what they call the guy that got the lowest passing score on his medical examine? What? He says, A doctor.
              I’ve have all of the equipment but, I’m not a clockmaker yet, I hope to be. I’m not even a good clock repairer yet but, I will be. Thank you all for your encouragement and helpful comments. It keeps me at the bench knowing that each one of you had a first clock and now you are clockmakers.
              The bench is nice. I got it from a man that I was cleaning out his garage. I traded out some work it. about 100.00. It has some outlets mounted on it too and you just plug it into the wall socket.
              Bob, here are some pics of my Lathe. It’s a Grizzly G8688 7×12. I got the quick change tool past from Little Machine Shop. I also have the quick release tail stock lock but I don’t have it installed yet. The drill chuck was an add-on to the G8688 package.
              I understand that set-up takes a little longer with this type lathe. Once I learn how to operate it, I think I will be able to do a little more with it than what the Jewelers lathe will do. It also came with a set of gears for making screws.
              It’s never even been turned on. I’m afraid of it. I’ve never worked with a lathe before. Soon, I’ll study your Learn to Turn videos and give it a try. This is so different from the Jewelers lathe though. I hope I can find instruction on a similar lathe. I’m not even sure which tools to cut with and the speed and things like that. I’ve got so much to learn. I’m overwhelmed.
              Here are the pics. Thanks everybody for your kind help, Danny.

disciple_dan
              Participant

Hey, fellers. Check out this beautiful clock a friend picked up for me at a Trinket shop for 3.00. It’s Swiss made and has 7 Jewels. It’s in very good condition but missing a few parts and needs to be cleaned. Can I do that without taking it apart? I’m not near ready for that!
                Anybody have an idea where to begin to look for parts? It’s missing both winding keys. The post of the movement is about 1/8″ and the I can tell has 9 threads and is left hand thread. The music box is 5/64 th. long and has 6 threads. Right hand. Both are 90th” in Dia.
                I would imagine just finding some junk alarm clocks would be my best bet.
                Anybody got an Idea?
                Thanks, Danny

arutha
                Participant

Hey Danny,
                  you are better off asking those sorts of questions on the main board as it gets a lot more views. You can buy job lots of winding keys and hand setting knobs on ebay. You will build up a collection of them eventually :)
                  Paul.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.