Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks Disassembly Memory Loss

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

You wouldn’t want one of these William, I have the non Bergeon one, it is a lovely looking thing but i prefer my slightly bigger vice I bought at a bootsale for £1.00, much more useful, jaws line up well, clamps evenly all along the jaws and once I had cleaned the rust off of it even looks nice :)
      The grey one in the picture is fixed to my bench and i keep forgetting to take it off and bang my elbow on it.

randy
      Participant

I use baby food jars for One-Dip, small glass jars w/stainless baskets/twist on caps that I got on ebay for my cleaning chemicals (L&R) . I bought a new ultrasonic a few months back with a heater built in it, and it cleans much better than my $39 “dental” cleaner, and the final rinse comes out much nicer.
        I have noticed that some of the cheaper baskets can lose their finish depending on the solution you are using, which means it’s going back on your just cleaned parts !

I use old-school round plastic watch trays, and I just group the parts in the sections so that I don’t get it mixed up.
        I clean them in groups as well, for the same reason.
        The more I’ve done it though, the less I worry, as I’m getting used to knowing what fits where more and more.

I also have two of the long green trays that Otto Frei sells, as you can stack them, and can fit larger movements ( PW’s ) in them

Randy

david pierce
        Participant

William,
          I noticed those stud dog poses in your pictures. I hope you don’t post one wearing a Speedo.
          david

ewinrow
          Participant

Memory loss, yup that’s me all the way. Thankfully before the course I went out and brought several, no bunch’s of old broken ladies watches pocket watches, men’s watches and I already had a dozen or more wall clocks. Yup as I had anticipated, I’m breaking them down very well and yea, their all sitting around unassembled. But their all separated and in safe places. As time goes on I’m sure Bob and other big hands on here will be willing to help a new second hand achieve my goal of watch repair. Hey, as a disabled “VET”, all I have is time now. Any who, glad to be a part of the course even as a cherry 😆 Got to go now, no TIME for chat got to be on my learning way. SGT Viper, 82nd AIRBORNE DIV, Disabled. (Hello Bob, doing well now, thanks.)

arutha
            Participant

Just get yourself a digital camera and take pictures as you tear the clock/watch down. I still use one from time to time, it helps stop a large build up of unfinished clocks because I cant remember how or where things went 🙄

arutha
              Participant

@david pierce wrote:

William,
                I noticed those stud dog poses in your pictures. I hope you don’t post one wearing a Speedo.
                david

I think he is saving that one for the summer, I bet he owns lots of pairs of “budgie smugglers” 😆

ewinrow
                Participant

I am on the digital snap. I am now putting memory with digital. having some luck, but a beginner I still have to build more confidence and practice, practice and more practice. More patience is also required for these task. One thing in my favor is “Persistence”. One of my greater assets, like we say in the duce. (Rock-up and get the task at hand done…..!) Along with a few more chosen words. 👿 Advice was good, thanks. Ed…..

willofiam

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments, This photo was taken at a regional business exposition, I had set up a display and had thought wearing a vest may attract attention to how fashionable it still can be to carry a pocket watch, I had received some compliments but the ones I cherish the most are from you guys…..I had a line at the bench with people asking questions (hope I didnt sound like a fool) my wife said I was the only one there who was so busy, maybe the idea worked????
                    I was wondering what yall are referring to…. @david pierce wrote:

a Speedo.

@Arutha wrote:

“budgie smugglers”

never heard of these, are they for organizing items to help in memory loss? or possibly something for the lathe setup?
                    Hey Ed, the 4 P’s = patients, practice, persistence and pictures are the key, time to stop eatin cake, get up, get busy, and let us know how the battle goes :D remember, make war with the counsel of many…..William

arutha
                    Participant

Speedos or “Budgie smugglers” are what you wear when you are doing the dusting in your house on a Sunday while singing “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor 😯

willofiam

Hey Paul, I am not sure posting your Sunday routine is o.k ;) . on here, but hope you have fun anyway, William

arutha
                        Participant

Shhh..dont tell everyone 😳

ewinrow
                          Participant

What is a good price to pay for one of these cameras and a better place to acquire it? as a beginner and working more so on the poorer side of things, I would love to have one. I spend relatively decent funds on most tools as they get the job done and a camera for my memory loss will be wonderful, just has to be fairly inexpensive. I am a disabled vet and living on a constant budget. But so far holding my own, bottom line, that’s all that really matters to me. I heard Harbor Fright, doe’s that cover cameras also…..? Thanks guy’s, Ed…..

ewinrow
                            Participant

@willofiam wrote:

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments, This photo was taken at a regional business exposition, I had set up a display and had thought wearing a vest may attract attention to how fashionable it still can be to carry a pocket watch, I had received some compliments but the ones I cherish the most are from you guys…..I had a line at the bench with people asking questions (hope I didnt sound like a fool) my wife said I was the only one there who was so busy, maybe the idea worked????
                              I was wondering what yall are referring to…. @david pierce wrote:

a Speedo.

@Arutha wrote:

“budgie smugglers”

never heard of these, are they for organizing items to help in memory loss? or possibly something for the lathe setup?
                              Hey Ed, the 4 P’s = patients, practice, persistence and pictures are the key, time to stop eatin cake, get up, get busy, and let us know how the battle goes :D remember, make war with the counsel of many…..William

Hey Will, Things are coming along, won’t get it overnight, but will get it soon, I’m good on the patients, practice and persistence end but as far as the pics go, still looking for a cheep enough unit that will suffice for me. What I already have just isn’t good enough. What type of system are you currently using? Thanks Will, your reply as well as all others are very encouraging, thanks guys. Ed…..

willofiam

Hey Ed, I have a “cool pics” 100 (I think) it was pretty expensive when I bought it new, basically I think any digital camera may work. I am not up on these electronic type devices so I have been hoping someone out there who knows about cameras would give some advice. I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction, I did see alot of used digital cameras on ebay that may work but once again I do not know much about them. One idea may be to stop into the electronics store and ask a bunch of question and get some prices. have a great day,William

ewinrow
                                Participant

@willofiam wrote:

Hey Ed, I have a “cool pics” 100 (I think) it was pretty expensive when I bought it new, basically I think any digital camera may work. I am not up on these electronic type devices so I have been hoping someone out there who knows about cameras would give some advice. I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction, I did see alot of used digital cameras on ebay that may work but once again I do not know much about them. One idea may be to stop into the electronics store and ask a bunch of question and get some prices. have a great day,William

Thanks Will, I’m going to do more research on this, Right now to busy being frustrated by a hairspring assy kicking me in the teeth. Decided to take a break and cool down, and check this, just a one jeweled Disney wrist watch. Well Will, back to the grind….. Thanks, Ed….. 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.