Home Forums General Discussion Forum Dirty Ingraham

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    disciple_dan
    Participant

Hey, Y’all.
      I have a really gummed up couple great wheels in this Ingraham I’m working on. The worst I’ve seen. I think I’m going to have to take it apart to clean it all out. Any suggestions?

disciple_dan
      Participant

I’m scared to death. I have never used a lathe before. I watched William Porter’s video on a great wheel click repair and I think I need to remove this wheel in the same manner.
        I’m posting pics of the graver I’m using. It has a negative rake on 3 sides. I think it’s the right one. I have the wheel chucked up and the tool in position to start the cut.
        Just wanted some assurance. I won’t hold anyone responsible if it turns out wrong.
        Any comments, cautions or warnings are gladly welcomed.
        Thanks, Danny

willofiam

Dan, if you have not used a lathe before then I would suggest practicing on a piece of brass or any other softer material, plastic? get the feel of how it cuts and how to set up your cutting tool. GO SLOW, all you need to do is knock down the punched over areas on the collar to be able to release the tension washer and take the great wheel and arbor apart.

disciple_dan
          Participant

William, Thank God, Please stay with me here for just a couple post.
            I took this subject and pics over to NAWCC to try to get some help. I know you’re a busy man and unable to stay on the watch for people that need help.
            So, Do you agree I have the arbor and cutting tool set up correctly?
            On the NAWCC they are telling me to turn the wheel around and cut the other side off. There’s no washer, nothing penned on anything. It looks to me like on that side, the shoulder is on the arbor and the wheel is pressed against it.
            In the pics I posted I think I have it right. Just let me know if you agree. No need for an explanation. I will watch your video again too. The Korean clock you repaired the click on.
            I will hold off on this wheel too and do some practicing.
            Here’s a pic of what I’m talking about.

willofiam

Hey Dan, on this style great wheel it comes apart like you think….the tension washer is on the ratchet side of this wheel….many other styles of great wheels would be removed from the other side and there again the tension washer would be on that side….so basically wherever it is peened over to hold it together would be the proper side to remove as little material as possible.

willofiam

Dan….yes, you do want to do some practicing especially if you have not used the lathe before….maybe find a old great wheel and practice on that after practicing on some raw stock….leading edge of the cutting bit is at center or a little above, make sure everything is clear by turning the spindle by hand and also notice if you move into the object if anything will get in the way…there is very little material to remove when doing this great wheel removal that you can almost turn your lathe spindle by hand a slowly cut off what is needed….remove as little material ON THE COLLAR as possible since you will need to reassemble later and have enough material to peen back over and hold the washer….you do not want to cut into the washer or shorten the collar….do not peen it over too much or it can become too tight and it is difficult to loosen to make the right tension….slow and careful….have fun you will be O.K.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.