Home Forums General Discussion Forum different type of escapement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    watchthebear
    Participant

Hello all, hope you are well. What is the escapement called where the escape wheel also serves as the pallet? I have run into quite a few of them. the ends of the wheel are turned upward, and there are more than on a regular escape wheel. It spins and must catch a roller jewel, or something else on the staff. Since i am still working w/ broken watches I have not seen one of these work. I figured many of you would know all about this. Thanks for any help. Stay well…………………….b

watchthebear
      Participant

Hello all, w/out a picture I will make another try. What would normally be the escape wheel has the “points” curved upward (like the stylized lotus flower) and connect directly w/ the balance. There is a notch in the balance shaft where the pointed parts of the wheel must strike the shaft. I have seen a lot of these lately. take care…………..b

willofiam

Hey b, i will try again, pictures will realy help out ;) , But as you said @watchthebear wrote:

escape wheel has the “points” curved upward

, or @watchthebear wrote:

the ends of the wheel are turned upward, and there are more than on a regular escape wheel

would almost sound like a “verge” escapement, but then again when you said, @watchthebear wrote:

There is a notch in the balance shaft where the pointed parts of the wheel must strike the shaft.

sounds to me like a “cylinder” escapement. which when you said, @watchthebear wrote:

where the escape wheel also serves as the pallet?

starts to make even more sense, but when you said, @watchthebear wrote:

(like the stylized lotus flower) and connect directly w/ the balance

😯 I had no clue, BUT then again that is usually the case, so in my limited knowledge and the desire to help others out, my best guess would be a cylinder escapement. I found a small book on escapements by, F.J.Britton called “the escapements” their action, construction and proportion. very inexpensive yet yields good information, I am sure there are many other books on escapements and the theory behind each and they would be good for any of us to get ahold of. :D Keep on keepin on, William

watchthebear
          Participant

hello all:, yes Will, cylinder escapement is the type I have been trying to describe. Thanks for your help. Now I must learn how it works. Take care all………………..b

peterclare
            Participant

Hi all, there are some good animations of various escapements at Abbeyclock.com, the main page is at http://www.abbeyclock.com/escapement.html, and cylinder escapement in particular at http://www.abbeyclock.com/bcyl.html.

nawcc as a list at http://www.nawcc-index.net/HowTimepiecesWork.php

All good stuff to help get a moving picture of what’s going on.

Regards

Peter

watchthebear
              Participant

Hello all, hope everyone is well and very busy! Thank you Peter for the links–a great help. Thanks to all of you who always seem to come up w/ some insights that point me in the right direction. take care….stay well…………….b

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.