Home Forums General Discussion Forum Dial face covering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

Howdy yall, I have a Gilbert dial face with a plastic type covering, looks all original . Can anyone tell me what this covering material is AND if there is a way to patch a small hole in it. there is a date stamped on the clockworks 1913 Thank you. have a fantastic day!!!! William

arutha
      Participant

Hi William,
        I cant tell you what it is made of, its like some form of plastic/celluloid on paper. There is not a great deal you can do with these dials unfortunately although you can buy a replacement paper dial and then try some thick coats of lacquer to try and get a similar finish but to be honest I think these clocks look great with their original “grubby” dials, it adds to their character and shows their age, it just would not look right all clean and white.
        Not much help I’m afraid but who knows, someone here might be of more help :)
        Hope you are keeping well and havn’t missed me too much, I am getting married at the end of the month so have been kinda busy :)

willofiam

HEY PAUL, good to hear from you and yes I have been sad 😥 not seeing you on here, Congrats on getting married ;) , now I know why you have been so busy elsewhere. I will pray and ask for blessings on your marriage… :) I dont think I would try to do anything to the plastic face except to fill that little hole you can see in the 3rd pic. If that is even possible….. William

arutha
          Participant

Thanks William, will send you some pics :)
            The only thing I can think of is to use some white milliput but you will need something to stain it with to match the original dial, get it as flush as you can to the surface of the original face and then put sellotape over the top. Once it has dried you can peel the sellotape off and it will leave it looking glossy. have repaired a couple of french clock enamel dials this way now and you have to look hard to see the repair!
            Good luck :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.