Home Forums General Discussion Forum Dest Thomas Dial Restoration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rgmt79
    Participant

I have just acquired this clock for repair and restoration. It has an No 89 Stopworks movement, which has been subject to repair by punched pivot holes (see photo)…I will replace with bushes. My question here concerns the dial face which is badly scratched and a poor attempt has been made to paint over the scratches. I would like to restore this as closely as possible to the original if possible rather than use a new stick on paper copy. Can someone please give me some advice on how best to do this?

Thanks,
      Richard

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Richard I have never put a paper face on a metal dial and have never attempted to repair one. It has been a while since I have had one in that needed repair but I always send mine out and have them done. I have a couple of places that I send them to so they are done professionally. I tried one once and it was a effort in futility. :D I will see if I can find the info if you want to go that route. The guy I sent them to is very good and also does reverse glass painting for clock doors.

rgmt79
        Participant

Thanks Bernie, but that’s not an option for me unless you know someone in Europe? I’m not sure if the cost of having it done professionally is going to be cost effective, as I said, I plan on selling the clock on and I’m not sure if the added value of having the face professionally repaired will be reflected in the price I can get for the clock.

bernie weishapl
          Participant

No problem. I didn’t realize that you were overseas. As far as having it professionally done that would probably be a point of what are clocks selling for there. Here the market is in the tank. Clocks I sold for $300 5 yrs ago I cannot even sell for $150. So I probably would just leave the dial. Here after cleaning and repairing then adding a dial restoration it would not be worth it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.