Home Forums General Discussion Forum demagnetizer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    showaddywaddy
    Participant

[attachment=0:2x3hf2mb]290942606147_1demag.jpg[/attachment:2x3hf2mb]hi i have an american 110 volt demagnetizer i have 240 volts in my house i need to know what watts it would take in to get a transformer

tmac1956
      Participant

showaddywaddy:

That’s a nice vintage device! Wouldn’t you be able to use a typical converter that we use for electric shavers and the like when we go to the EU? You can get those on eBay pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Travel-Power-EU-AU-UK-to-US-USA-Adapter-Plug-Converter-AC-110V-220V-/121050400956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2f2a88bc

I hope that helps…

Tom

arutha
        Participant

Those adapters dont drop the voltage! I would be careful putting 240v through it, might be worth doing a bit more reasearch first? I would imagine you would have to use a stepdown transformer with it?

showaddywaddy
          Participant

thanks tmac for your reply i,m finding it hard to get a transformer 240v down to 110v

showaddywaddy
            Participant

thanks tom i,m trying to get the right transformer for it

david pierce
              Participant

Show,
                Most items that run on electricity have an information plate on the device. Check your device carefully for any information. I have a similar unit that I can check with a current transformer meter to calculate the VA but I will not have the time to look at it until this Sunday. Don’t panic, help is on the way.
                david

david pierce
                Participant

Show,
                  I think that your demagnetizer is approximately a 300 watt unit. Ebay item 400279918057 should work.
                  david

clam71
                  Participant

The easiest solution I would use: if the demagnetizer is 115 volts and you have 240, buy a 115 volt light bulb of the
                    same wattage and wire both in SERIES. No transformer needed but you’ll waste half the electricity in the current-
                    limiting light bulb. MAKE SURE IT’S WIRED IN SERIES !!!

david pierce
                    Participant

Clam 71,
                      It is true that voltage divides in series and if a person has a background in electric circuit design and construction this could save some money. The idea is a good one but only if the person doing the wiring has a background in electrical circuitry. What worried me and the reason I did not suggest it is if he got it wrong, the unit could burst into flames and possibly burn his house down. If he attempted to put the fire out with a CO2 fire extinguisher he could get electrocuted. 240 volts is extremely dangerous; especially for someone’s first wiring project. The power supply I suggested has circuitry protection built into the unit and is safe and simple to set up. You simply plug it in and use it.
                      david

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.