Home Forums General Discussion Forum Dead center rusted into the tailstock rod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nic422
    Participant

Hello guys,

I am having an insane time trying to get this darn dead center out of the tail stock rod it’s in. It’s a peerless tail stock. The numbers match the bed and
      head stock and everything. It must be a hundred years old right? The peerless Marshall 1? Anyway, I have tried soaking it in W-D 40 and still is, but each time I try to hit it with a tapered nail in the hole to pop it out, it wont even budge.

Any ideas on how I can get this thing out? The W-D 40 soak isn’t doing the trick. The thing seems like it is oxidized together.

Your help greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks guys.

Nic

chris mabbott
      Participant

OK this is a dumb question but on this model the DC is threaded into the taper sleeve …correct?

How do you know it’s rust, I ask because we can’t see it, so I’m not sure if it is a rusty heap or if there is a possibility that you think it might be rusted because it’s tight?
        Photos are always better Nic, then we can visualize what’s going on..

Have you tried a bit of heat? That is a little, not glowing red (disclaimer) 😆 maybe use a heat gun.

nic422
        Participant

Thanks Chris, it’s the same one Bob has in his lathe videos with the hole you use to tap the DC out with. Believe me I have tried unscrewing
          it with a couple of wrenches. In the pics I have already gotten the rust off the outside, but there is a dark ring of oxidation where it meets.
          How would the heat help it come out?

chris mabbott
          Participant

Nic my old compardre,

What you will attempt to do is to lightly apply heat all around the area I show in RED. NOT TOO MUCH the goal is to slightly expand the outer part, this should allow you to gently tap in the direction of the green arrows.

You have to be fairly quick because you don’t want the heat to go into the DC. You also don’t want to heat treat the part. If you use a butane turbo lighter, I find this is sufficient heat for moving rusted or stuck parts..

Have your hammer, a brass punch or punch, ready, pull while you heat, if this doesn’t do it, immediately grab your hammer..
            Hope this helps..

nic422
            Participant

hanks again Chris, will try that.

david pierce
              Participant

I’ve had this happen a few times before. I heated the tailstock on a gas burner on the kitchen stove and then was able to work it out with vice grips. If all else fails you can remove the plastic knob at the back and drill the center of the tailstock out. Then you can insert a long pin punch through the back and knock it out with a hammer and bench block.

nic422
                Participant

I will try the gas stove method because the heating method hasn’t worked. I’m afraid I don’t have the tools capable of drilling out the tailstock though.

david pierce
                  Participant

Nic,
                    Did you have any luck with your stuck tailstock center?
                    david

nic422
                    Participant

I used a butane torch with a vise with no success, still plan to try the stovetop method.

nic422
                      Participant

I come back to this thread months later to report success. Some urging made me give it another try. Used a micro torch sitting in it’s base on high, and two large pliers. After a bit of elbow grease and twisting with it in direct heat, heard some squeaking and eventually it came loose. Now I have a working tail stock bar :D Thanks guys.

stevefitzwater
                        Participant

congrats!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.