• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I found a person who can fabricate custom mainsprings at a reasonable price. I’m rebuilding a Swiss pocket watch and couldn’t find a mainspring for it, so I did the calculations and sent an email. He can do a 36″ length for $35.00.

I just thought this might be helpful. You can contact him at:

[email protected]

Later,
      Tom

arutha
      Participant

Very useful info Tom, thanks for posting it up :)
        Paul.

tmac1956
        Participant

All:

I finally received the custom mainspring and thought I’d post the steps needed to get it ready for installation. Many of you’ve probably done this before but for me, this is a new experience.

The first thing I needed to do was to fabricate the barrel end which was of the tang hook type. I found some shim stock of the correct thickness, and snipped out a rough copy. In order to punch and file this stuff, I had to anneal it. I did that, and put some dye on it so I could see the scribed outline of the old part.

Here’s the copy next to the original before I filed it to length, added the knife edge, and punched the rivet hole.

I selected a punch close to the original hole diameter and punched the new hole on my staking set.

Next, I cut the custom mainspring material to the correct length. The supplier punched the arbor end for me, so I didn’t have to deal with that.

continued…

tmac1956
          Participant

continued…

Next, I annealed both mainspring ends so that I could more easily fabricate the tang/hook end and bend the barrel arbor end.

Again, using my staking set, I punched the rivet hole in the tang/hook end.

Due to the ease of fabricating and riveting, I decided to start off using brass to make the rivet.

This is probably the smallest part I’ve ever made. Here’s the finished rivet.

continued…

tmac1956
            Participant

continued…

So as to allow more area into which the riveted material could seat, I beveled the mainspring tang/end hole.

I assembled the rivet into the mainspring and then added the tang. On my staking set, I started the riveting process using a tiny concave punch, worked out to one a little larger, then another a little larger, before finishing it off with a flat punch. The following show the almost finished product. I’ll probably file of the larger rivet head as it appears a little thick. It might not matter, but my OCD allows for nothing less. ;)

I know this is pretty basic stuff, but I thought I’d share for those who haven’t done this yet.

Thanks,
              Tom

jim1228
              Participant

Brilliant job Tom

Jim

tmac1956
                Participant

Jim:

Thanks… but I didn’t post the failures. ;)

Later,
                  Tom

gerene
                  Participant

Well done Tom. Thanks for the pictures, it gives me a nice overview of how to do it and I will certainly get back to it when need arises!

Jan

arutha
                    Participant

Great work Tom :)
                      Paul

tmac1956
                      Participant

All:

Thanks for the nice comments, but David Pierce gave me the idea about machining the rivet with a flat base. I tried it once on my own but my attempt wound up being skewed side ways and misaligned. After talking to him, I had a good handle on the process which worked out pretty well in the end. Well, that’s one repair that I can stick into my knowledge base.

Later,
                        Tom,

tmac1956
                        Participant

All:

Just to follow-up… I reassembled the watch with the new mainspring installed. It’s running like a champ. I highly recommend this supplier for springs that are unattainable elsewhere.

Thanks!
                          Tom

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.