Home Forums General Discussion Forum Cuckoo clocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    justrightgeorge
    Participant

why does an old cuckoo clock usualy need a set ofweights that are heavier than the ones which originally came with the clock? (really enjoy working on cuckoos).

wingman
      Participant

Hello George

I’ve encountered the same problem. I suspect pivot bushing wear. I have recently cleaned and oiled an old cuckoo clock and it seems to run out of power and stop as the strike lift arm starts rising on the cam.

Steve

123clockman
        Participant

Wingman: Have you cleaned the clock movement? And if so, did you completely dismantle the movement or as some do, just soak it in solvent and lubricate? If the latter, it may well be that all the solvent did was activate the old dry oil and dirt that was in the pivots/bushings, giving very little lubrication, consequently it needs more weight to power through the ‘grinding compound’ that is left behind. If the movement was dis-assembled, cleaned properly, bushings cleaned with pegwood or toothpicks, you may well have bushings that are worn out, or pivots that are damaged/worn. Also, is the mechanism that moves the bird out may be binding, or the strike lift arm/ cam may not be properly adjusted. Without knowing more about the clock, Regula/Herbert Herr/ or??? 1day, or 8 day movement, it is difficult to give a diagnosis.

wingman
          Participant

Thanks and your answers are all correct. I just found it quit again last night and again this morning about 30 min. after restarting. I discovered that when I wound the clock I must have caused it to shift on the wall and it went out of beat. I’ll have to find a way to keep it from sliding during the winding process. It least I had it marked the wall where it needed to be to in beat.

😳

justrightgeorge
            Participant

Thanks to everyone. I’ll work on those points.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.