Home Forums General Discussion Forum Cresent Swing Out Case problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stevefitzwater
    Participant

Actually feel pretty dumb asking this question, so here we go, I picked up a Cresent Swing out 18s case for my 1884 Waltham Model 1883, and I am having a problem with the bezel, I have tried taking some pictures, but none really show the question, I will try again later, but I am going to ask without them.

On the front case cover, is there an “inner Bezel”? It looks like it is in there, threaded and everything, but I can not get it to move, tired everything I can think of that is “non damaging” to the case, but I am at my the end of the rope so to speak. I am assuming the front cover is a two piece unit, the inner bezel screws out to hold the crystal in place…

Here is an eBay auction for the same case, for reference, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crescent-Trade-Mark-18s-Lever-Pocket-Watch-Case-Thick-Crystal-Swing-Out-57-80mm-/291355825513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d6291569

I will work on a photo that will show the issue, need to dig out the DSLR and equipment, maybe I can get an angle that shows it

chris mabbott
      Participant

Steve, the swing out cases, starting from the front, have…

1. A screw off bezel
        2. A hinged swing out movement mount

#1 the screw off bezel, has the crystal either friction/press fit if plastic, or most common with thick glass types, they are glued in place.

What I think that you’re looking at is the ridge design around the bezel, which is just a design grip for unscrewing..

Here are the photos from the ebay link, credit given to the owner of the photos..

I’ve tried to illustrate with arrows, easier. I think the Black X is the part you’re speaking about?

Hope this helps ya chief :) The only dumb question is the one you never ask, if that makes sense 😆

stevefitzwater
        Participant

Ok, on the inner circumference in that bezel, there appears to be either a inner bezel, or maybe it is just a reflection ring, I was thinking that screwed out and was the backstop of the crystal.

Yeah this is one of those “thick crystal”, going to try and use a flat glass crystal instead..

chris mabbott
          Participant

Ok, now I understand, yes, that is a reflector type ring, or just a finishing touch to make it look nicer, or both..

The thick crystals were to prevent breakage in the pocket, they are classic to this type of case. If you plan on changing it to a thinner type, make sure it’s thick enough not to break, or you can go with the unbreakable type, but then originality is lost..

stevefitzwater
            Participant

but then originality is lost..

aw man Chris… your going to guilt me into a thick crystal.. 😳

I guess I can set this case aside for a another movement, this one was going to be the newest everyday watch, just not a fan of those thick crystals…

chris mabbott
              Participant

Nah, not my intention Steve ;) I just wanted to mention it for information sake. My personal thing is to try and maintain or restore them as they were when they were new, but everyone is different, so you do what is good for you, if you enjoy it, and it’s easier for you to carry, even better.

Many moons ago, I also didn’t like the thick crystals, but one day I had a thin one break in my pocket, I hit the car door :? Then I put the thick one back and they kinda grew on me :)

stevefitzwater
                Participant

I know, just doing the forum dance…. aka banter 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.