Home Forums General Discussion Forum Couple of new newbie questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    monkeynuts
    Participant

You guys are going get sick of me

Ok started on a new movement and the first question is the barrel screw has two holes on this movement I’m guessing it needs a special tool to unscrew similar to a case back tool? Any ideas how to get off won’t the whole barrel turn when unscrewing?

Second question is on cleaning last movement had a bad experience basically made the watch worse then it was originally I think it had to do with the ultrasonic cleaner which was seaweed based

After lots of looking does this sound ok on the cleaning 1.put in a jar of lighter fluid degreaser and place in ultrasonic filled with water for 3mins 2.ultrasonic in water for 3mins 3.kitchen roll dry 4.put in isopropanol for 2 mins 5. Blow dry
      Essence of Renata for hairspring and mainspring

randy
      Participant

Marcus,
        First off,..I have to tell you that I’ve never heard of a seaweed based cleaner..but when in Rome…well…you know.

OK.
        Yup, I think you are seeing the holes in the top of the winding arbor assembly that sits in the center of the mainspring barrel.
        Some of these can be challenging, and I’m sure that someone invented a “pin wrench” tool of sorts to loosen them, but I can’t say I’ve ever come across one that I recall.

I’ve been successful at times with just making sure that the mainspring is released, then I would simply remove the plate screws and then once you work it ( carefully ) from under the 1st wheel ( better to remove the wheel first by using a pinion puller to remove the canon pinion ). you will be able to really get a look at the layout.

BTW..It’s OK to just walk away from these contraptions from time to time when you are frustrated.
        The late George Daniels ( look him up if you don’t know who he is ), said the only difference between working on watches vs. working on cars was the size of the hammer one used. I’m betting that he had many occasion to ponder whether he should simply destroy a watch project by taking a small sledge hammer to it.
        Or rather…maybe just some time away is the better choice .and a good pint to get perspective ??

All the best

Randy

monkeynuts
        Participant

Well I feel like I’m doing a good job destroying these poor watches without the need for sledgehammer lol I’m certainly learning how not to do things very quickly, I thought the safe bet was to go with a cleaner recommended by the ultrasonic ,big mistake also just looking on the side of the bottle it states clearly not to use on plated metals I guess this explains why I had such terrible results
          A few pictures for you guys to have a chuckle over and to everyone don’t use seaweed based cleaners lol

Before

After

randy
          Participant

Wow..it really did a number on that movement !

Marcus..I would use Cousins as my “guide” for cleaning solutions and other gear that you might need.
            You don’t have to purchase from them..but at least you can see what items are commonly used ??
            Take care

Randy

monkeynuts
            Participant

Much better cleaning experience this time

Weird movement it has no pallet fork , the balance wheel is different and the escape wheel is a weird design

randy
              Participant

Things look much better !!!

It’s a Pin Pallet, or Roskopf escapement.

Pin pallet escapement[edit]

Main article: Pin pallet escapement

A cheaper, less accurate version of the lever escapement is used in alarm clocks, kitchen timers, mantel clocks and, until the late 1970s, cheap watches, called the Roskopf, pin-lever, or pin-pallet escapement after Georges Frederic Roskopf, who invented it in 1867. It functions similarly to the lever, except that the lever pallet jewels are replaced by vertical metal pins. In a lever escapement, the pallets have two angled faces, the locking face and the impulse face, which must be carefully adjusted to the correct angles. In the pin pallet escapement, these two faces are designed into the shape of the escape wheel teeth instead, eliminating complicated adjustments. The pins are located symmetrically on the lever, making beat adjustment simpler. Watches that used these escapements were called pin lever watches, and have been superseded by cheap quartz watches.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.