Home Forums General Discussion Forum Complicated Watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

There is a Swiss watch called the ROGER DUBUIS EXCALIBUR QUATOUR that has four balance wheels and over 550 parts. The price is $410,389.60 and I don’t think anyone in there right mind would even think of taking it apart. The watch is definitely over complicated and over priced. I wonder what Roger Dubuis charges to service that contraption.
      david

maitai11
      Participant

Some pics of what David is talking about…

Well, what if you took a step-by-step picture/video approach? Just kidding David, I take your meaning :/

Best,

Tim :)

maitai11
        Participant

But, if I HAD to take one apart, like if I was being forced at gunpoint or something, I would want to do it on THIS one.

By the way, there was one a couple months back that went, I think, for four million USD. This is cheap by comparison! Of course, I am RELATIVELY speaking :)

T :)

chris mabbott
          Participant

And earr ees monsieur le video (spoken in my best Parisian accent 😆

gerene
            Participant

It is a nice piece of work and I think that one could say it is an art in itself to be able to make such a thing. Of course it is too complicated and a solution to a problem that can be better solved with quartz or other techniques, but that is exactly why I consider it more to be art than just a timekeeper.
              I won’t buy one, but hey I won’t buy Gaugin’s painting either (for the same reason) ;).
              Thanks for the link guys!

Jan

arutha
              Participant

You would have to buy two so you at least you still had one while the other was away for its 4 month long service 😯

Not my cup of tea!

At the other end of the spectrum check this out – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W A favourite with terrorists for bomb making apparently and they still sell so many of these watches there are companies out there that fake them(yes, they fake a $12 watch 😯 ), check out this Youtube video to spot a fake – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk_-_Phiklc
                I have a genuine model and a fake, I think the fake cost me £4 on e-bay.
                Paul

david pierce
                Participant

A fake CASIO! What is this world coming to? Isn’t that kind of like the imitation of an artificial flavor??????

Anyway, back to the Roger Dubuis Rube Goldberg model. The Swiss keep coming up with more complex contraptions that seem to be of no particular advantage. This watch will probably self destruct if you sneeze. I guess the next step for them will be multiple three dimensional turbillion escapements in one watch. At that point the watch will be completely useless as opposed to almost completely useless. On top of that the watch is ugly. Compare it to the beautiful look of a George Daniels watch. Also, the George Daniels movement actually improved the timekeeping aspects of a mechanical watch and was not done simply to over complicate the mechanism.

I wonder what Archie Luxury would have to say about it?

gerene
                  Participant

I do agree David, George Daniels watches are far more beautiful than this one. If I was to be spending that amount of money on a watch it would be one of George Daniels (one can always dream isn’t it?)!

Jan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.